BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

light flash or sparkle

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
axel andy
light flash or sparkle
on Jun 7, 2007 at 1:22:20 pm

I'm trying to do an effect I see all the time. In fact, if you look just to the left of this post there's an ad for "Flip4Mac" that has almost the effect I want. I need a little "twinkle" light flash to appear when a crown pops on the screen. Kind of like that Imperial Margarine commercial. I'm using Red...can you show me how to do this? I've done light sweeps and spotlights but all I need is 1 star sparkle.

Thanks,
Kay

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: light flash or sparkle
on Jun 7, 2007 at 2:20:58 pm

Hi Kay,

Normally I'd suggest using the BCC Glint or BCC Glitter filters but there were problems with getting some of the OpenGl based filters (such as these) to render in certain hosts so we did not include then with RED 4. So, instead of using those filters, I suggest using the BCC Rays filter from the Generators category to produce the effect you are looking for.

To create the effect, add the BCC Rays filter to the layer that you want to affect. From the preset pop-up select the smallStar setting. Position and scale the star so that it is located in the desired location at the desired size. Go to the Rays tab and animate the intensity parameter so that it appears for only the frames that you want to see it happen.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Jun 11, 2007 at 12:17:53 am

Hi Peter,

I'm using Red 3.04 and I don't have open GL. It doesn't come with the BCC Rays filter you mention. Any other suggestions?

Kay

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 11, 2007 at 4:12:45 pm

Hi Kay,

Hmmm ... well the only thing that I can suggest based on your set-up is that you download the trial version of BCC 4, which includes this filter. The trial version will operate for 15 days free of charge without any watermark.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Jun 11, 2007 at 11:27:05 pm

Peter...
I think there might have been a reason I did not get Red 4 but needed to get version 3. But I can't remember why. Could it have been my host? I'm on Avid Xpress 3.5 & windows XP.

K

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Jun 12, 2007 at 3:09:40 pm

Is it possible to purchase this filter for Red 3.04?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 13, 2007 at 5:01:50 pm

Hi Kay,

Before you make a decision to purchase BCC 4 for RED 3.0.4 you should download the BCC 4 trial version from our web site to ensure compatibility with your system. Once we can prove that it works you can consider the purchase.

To download, go here:

http://www.borisfx.com/product/continuum/bcc/

Once you download, follow the installation instructions and then launch RED in standalone mode to confirm that the filters are there and that they work. Please let me know if you need any assistance along the way.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]