BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

optical flow to mask cuts?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy J. Allenoptical flow to mask cuts?
by on Jun 6, 2007 at 4:11:58 pm

I'm working on a talking head interview and we had to stop tape for a few minutes while the subject wanted clarification regarding a question. We then restarted the tape and continued the interview. These interviews do not have cut aways and ususally if we have to stop, we just dissolve from one clip to the next.

I'm hoping to make the cut less noticeable if possible so instead of using a quick dissolve, I was thinking of trying to use Boris' optical flow filter to "morph" one shot into the other. The only difference between the two shots is a slightly different position of the talent's head. It's tilted a little more in one clip than the other.

Have any of you done this? It's been a long time since I tried it and I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers on the process.

Return to posts index

WilliamBusbyRe: optical flow to mask cuts?
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 7:14:24 pm

I can't offer any help regarding if this can be done with Optical Flow, but I noticed you use Avid. I do this all the time (when needed) with Avid's Fluid Morph as a transition. I usually leave the defaults, & start with a 3-5 frame transition. At times it can be seamless.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: optical flow to mask cuts?
by on Jun 18, 2007 at 10:48:08 pm

Thanks, Bill! I'll try Fluid Morph next time I run across this situation. Before I used Avid, I was so used to having to go into RED to do almost anything. I'm really glad that Avid wraps so many of RED's features into it's own GUI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved