BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC 3 presets to BCC 4.1 presets

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WilliamBusbyBCC 3 presets to BCC 4.1 presets
by on Apr 30, 2007 at 6:36:41 pm

I doubt there's an answer to this, other than "no can do"... but thought I'd ask anyway.

Is there anyway possible to convert/transfer BCC 3 saved presets I have in a Avid bin for BCC 4.1 to use those same defined settings? I have roughly 20 or so BCC 3 effect/filters saved to a custom effect bin in Avid that I use on a frequent basis, & had installed BCC 4.1 a while back & thought it was finally time to uninstall BCC 3.0 to unclutter Avid's Effect Palette.

I know when I do this that all of the saved presets in my custom effect bin will go kaput (no reference to BCC 3 anymore) if I do this without rebuilding all of them with BCC 4.1. This will take a great deal of time & was hoping someone might know of a faster, more efficient method.

I thought of making a copy of my custom effect bin for safety & possibly hacking it to reference the BCC 4.1 plugin, but don't know if that's possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC 3 presets to BCC 4.1 presets
by on Apr 30, 2007 at 8:51:48 pm

Hi,

The presets from BCC 3 should work in BCC 4 ... you just need to copy them into the right directory (the BCC 4 presets directory in this case) so that the BCC 4 filters can see them. Or you can just navigate to the BCC 3 filter preset directory.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

WilliamBusbyRe: BCC 3 presets to BCC 4.1 presets
by on Apr 30, 2007 at 9:05:09 pm

Thanks Peter, but these are within an Avid custom effect bin which is a .avb file. What I think I'll have to do is save each one within BCC's own presets, like you said, go through the motions of loading each one, then saving to the Avid custom effect directory so they're readily available.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

by on May 1, 2007 at 2:28:31 pm

Hi Bill,

You don't actually need to do that - all you need to do is to navigate to the following place (assuming you are on a windows system):

c:Program FilesBorisFX, Inc

at which point you should see any versions of BCC that you have installed. Go to the BCC Presets 3 AVX folder and you should see a folder for each filter. Inside these folders you can find the BCC preset files. Then you just copy the .bcp file from this directory into the appropriate BCC Presets 4 AVX filter directory.

Or you can load and save the presets as you describe, but I think it's faster to just copy the presets from location to location using the Desktop. Either method will work fine though.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on May 1, 2007 at 5:24:10 pm

Hey Peter,

Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it and I totally understand what you are saying, and I'm aware of where the BCC presets are located. The thing is, when using BCC as a plugin with Avid, and saving ANY (not only BCC) plugin's you have tweaked to a bin created & given a name in Avid, all of the effects, filters, what have you, are all placed inside a proprietary file with the extension .avb. For example, let's say the bin is called MyFx... the file within that particular Avid Project is called MyFx.avb. Using one of these effects in a sequence is merely a matter of a drag & drop process on the timeline.

None of these custom settings were originally saved WITHIN BCC's own save function (.bcp), therefore simply seeking them out in BCC 3.0's preset directory at the desktop level & moving them to the 4.1 BCC preset directory isn't going to work... because they aren't there. I have to GET them there... one by one so I can then proceed the way you describe. And the only way it looks like I can do this is:

1. In Avid, drag effect icon to timeline
2. in Avid's Effect Palette, use the plugin's save to preset feature.
3. repeat for all...
4. Close Avid, then navigate to BCC 3.0 preset directory at the desktop level & move to 4.1

Hope that makes sense, because at this point I just woke up a bit ago & my brain is still like scrambled eggs 8-

Thanks again,
Bill

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2007 at 3:33:53 pm

Hey Bill,

I now have a much clearer picture of the problem that you are trying to solve. I was under the impression that the effect settings that you needed to move had already been saved with the BCC load / save mechanism. Unfortunately I have no information to offer you regarding a better way to handle the situation other than the one you describe but I'll ask around in engineering to see if there is someone that might have a better idea on how to expedite the process. I'll let you know if they can think of a solution for you that would work better than the one you describe.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2007 at 3:50:53 pm

Hi Bill,

This is the workflow that engineering has offered to get past this issue:

"He should be able to apply the effects from the bin, then promote to BCC4 AVX 2.0, then save as BCC4 bin presets. Then he can uninstall BCC3."

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2007 at 6:06:06 pm

Thanks Peter. I thought about that workflow a long time ago but failed to mention I'm using Avid XDV 3, which is only AVX 1.5 compatible. Thanks for the quick reply though.

I've finished all 21 with my workflow mentioned in my previous post... took maybe 20 tedious minutes total, but got it done :)

Thanks again,
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]