BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Alpha channel with BCC filters

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris PoissonAlpha channel with BCC filters
by on Apr 22, 2007 at 3:46:17 pm

I don't know what I'm missing, but I applied Glint and Glow to an object which had an alpha channel and it either ignored it or wiped it out. Is there a "get alpha from" box I'm missing?

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: Alpha channel with BCC filters
by on Apr 23, 2007 at 9:36:36 pm

Get unmult from Red Giant is free and will take care of this for you. (Knoll umnult).

Return to posts index

Chris PoissonRe: Alpha channel with BCC filters
by on Apr 24, 2007 at 1:28:54 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks, but Unmult is what I am using to fix this, but it doesn't look as good as I want, when my metalic object comes in from off-screen, you can see through some of it's surfaces, it's not bad but it ain't perfect. Here's what I posted on the Adobe forum, but got no answers. There has to be a way to get this filter to use my alpha channel!

"You would think a filter set that costs as much as this one does would kinda work easily, not for me it doesn't.

I put the Glint filter on an Invigorator object, and it's beautiful but it is ignoring the alpha channel. Screwing around with the Pixel Chooser is not helping, I wish that thing would just go away. Precomposing the Invigorator layer prior to adding the glints does not help. When I put AE resident glow filter and a few of the CC light filters on there is no problem. Trapcode's Starglow filter works fine too. How the heck do you get this thing to work?"

Maybe this begs the question, "how do I master the Pixel Chooser" as I can't figure it out for the life of me. Tried some of the presets and see how they work, read the manual three times, can't figure it out.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Alpha channel with BCC filters
by on Apr 25, 2007 at 7:24:55 pm

In BCC Glint, you need to set the alpha channel within the filter - in AE, precomp the Invigorator effect, then add the BCC Glint to the precomp and set the Glint background layer function to the precomp.

Return to posts index

Chris PoissonRe: Alpha channel with BCC filters
by on Apr 26, 2007 at 4:11:05 am

Thanks Peter, I'll try that.

Return to posts index

Gregory KuhnRe: Alpha channel with BCC filters
by on Mar 24, 2008 at 2:53:52 pm

I tried this pre-comp idea but can't seem to get it to work. I was wondering if you could give a more detailed explanation of this. I am very frustrated at the dificulty of using BCC5 open GL filters. They look great but are very cumbersome.

I appreciate your help though.
-Greg Kuhn

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved