BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

z space composite and no open gl

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Axel Andy
z space composite and no open gl
on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:29:17 pm

I'm at the very beginning of the Red 3.0.4 tutorial and trying to work with the arrow & the bullseye. Due to my graphics card I can't use open gl. Does this mean that the "z space composite" feature won't work for my fx? I've got it selected yet my arrow is not cutting throught the bullseye like the picture in the manual.

K

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: z space composite and no open gl
on Mar 19, 2007 at 5:52:30 pm

Hi,

I'm not quite sure which tutorial you are working with but if you need objects to intersect in 3D space in RED then you need to make sure that both objects are nested in the same 3D container and that the renderer on the 3D Container control panel is set to either Z-Space Composite or 3D Model, with the former being a faster render than the latter. There are other caveats so please let me know if this does not work for you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Mar 19, 2007 at 6:44:37 pm

I'm using the Red3gl user's guide. I'm on chapter 1 and "sort of" have the arrow going through the bullseye but not really. I've followed the step by step instructions; everything is now in the container; the container is turned to z space. I've tried making this effect 5 times and it still looks fake... The arrow cuts the target to the left of center then "floats" across the target and exits to the right. It never really passes through completely.

If this is all it can do, fine. It's just that the pictures in the manual make it really look like you could shoot the arrow through the bulls-eye. If that can be done than the manual is missing some imiportant point.

K

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 19, 2007 at 6:52:19 pm

Something's clearly wrong - the arrow should pierce the target. Can you please send me your settings file and I'll diagnose the problem? Choose save-as and give it a unique (short) name. Then zip the file and sent it to me at peterm@borisfx.com.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:02:31 pm

Peter -
I'll send you the settings file but first - could the problem be because I can't use open GL? The manual clearly states (chapter 1 page 54) under "animating position parameters" that you need to drag the RED (y axis track)interactor...not simply the arrow image...to the first key frame.

Since I can't use open gl I don't have these red, blue, & green handles. All I can do is drag the arrow or set the position point manually.

If this is the problem then I think it's really time for me to get a new video card so I can access open gl. What would you recommend for Boris Red 3.04 and Avid Xpress DV 3.5?

In the meantime I'll try to see how to send you my settings.

K

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 21, 2007 at 1:47:52 pm

Hi Kay,

Just wondering if our support team were able to resolve the issue for you. From discussing your situation with them it appears as though the 3.0.4 updater was looking only at the C drive for the program and was not updating it to the 3.0.4 version because the installer couldn't find the app to patch. Now that this issue has been sorted out, I hope you will be able to make your way through the tutorials.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Mar 22, 2007 at 6:54:33 pm

Peter,

The support team asked me to specify exactly how & where I loaded the program (3.0) and then how & where I installed the update. That's where we left it. I haven't heard back from them yet so I don't know if, in fact, the updater was looking only at the C drive. I haven't changed anything yet and since I seem to be having minimal problems I'm going to move ahead with more of the fun questions. So here's one..

I've got the crop feature set to hold at kf 1. At kf 2 I want ease in ease out to take over till it gets to kf 3. But when I change the interpolation on kf 2 the image gets uncropped even though the numbers in the boxes are the same as kf 1.

Thanks,
K

Return to posts index

titohawaii
on Mar 25, 2007 at 5:05:32 am

i am having a problem that may be related to this one. i can't open the GL interactors when i am trying to do the tutorial for my Boris FX 8 and graffiti 4 (PDF help pg 32 exersise 3).
system
HP workstation wx8200
XP Professional 32-bit Intel& 3.60GHz / 1MB 800FSB PNY nVIDIA QUADRO FX 3450 PCI-E 4GB DDR2-400 ECC REGISTERED RAM 300GB SATA-II DRIVE (1ST) 300GB SATA-II DRIVE (2ND) ADS PYRO 1394b FireWire 800 PCI HP 16X DVD+/-RW HP740RI DUAL LAYER Floppy disk drive

thanks

tito

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]