BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Coleupgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:11:42 pm

I have a G5 with FCP 5.1 are there any known issues with upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1. Will my transitions still work? Will my old transitions from a previous project still work? Is it backwards compatable to the Red 4 projects? Just want to make sure I don't create a problem by trying to upgrade.

Mike Cole

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:54:28 pm

Hi,

My advice to you would be to wait until the next release of FCP before making the upgrade to RED, as transitions are not working in the latest version combination of FCP (5.1.4) / RED (4.1). The problem is not on the Boris side but on Apple's - they have told us that the problem has been fixed and that the fix for this will be included in the next upcoming major release of FCP. Once you upgrade old projects will come forward without error.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mike ColeRe: upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:06:55 pm

Thanks for your reply and even though I'm only using FCP 5.1.1, I should still wait. There is no good reason to upgrade? Thanks again for your response.

Mike Cole

Return to posts index

Tim LangstonRe: upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC
by on Mar 17, 2007 at 2:46:26 pm

A question for Peter, which I think you've already answered...if we have projects saved using Red 3.0 and then have reformatted our hard drive, can we simply load 4.0 then 4.1 (when FCP is fixed of course) and everything will work? Or will we need to load a patch so 4.1 can see 3.0 projects?

I believe I've tried this, I loaded 4.0 & then 4.1 on my Mac Pro, brought a project from my G5 Quad which had Red 3.0 filters in and loaded it on my Mac Pro. I think it came up saying something about "couldn't find Red 3.0 Static Generator" or something like that. That got me conserned.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: upgrading from Red 4 to 4.1 on Mac Power PC
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 5:35:59 pm

Hi Tim,

We'll have a more definitive answer for you pending the results of some in-house testing that we are currently engaged in but for now, the short answer is that if you are using the RED 4 PPC install option then the effects from RED 3 are not going to show up as RED 4 effects and will require RED 3 in order for them to work (or you can run the apple script that we have on our site which enables RED 3 effects to come forward as RED 4 effects), however if you use the RED 4 Universal install option then the RED 3 effects should show up as RED 4 effects.

As I said, we're still waiting for the results of a couple of tests that we are running, at which point we will post to the list. We should have that complete by tomorrow.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]