BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris FX 9

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JackWhiteIIIBoris FX 9
by on Mar 7, 2007 at 10:13:44 pm

I'm a Grafitti 3 and Boris FX 8 user considering upgrading to Boris FX 9. I've tried getting some pre-upgrade answers from Boris sales for the past few months but can't seem to get any response. Seems they don't want the sale! Can anyone here help?

In FX 8 I have BCC Z-Blur but this not in FX 9. Does the effect come under a different name?

The online help for FX 9 suggests that a motion path filter is available (as in Red 4) but I can't seem to find it in FX 9.

FX 8 has BCC Glow edges. Is this the same as BCC Glow Alpha Edges in FX 9?

According to my manuals for both FX 8 and Graffiti 3, there should be a "Write On" mode under the Tools menu. I have never found this and cannot find it in FX 9 either.

On the website Boris say that there are dozens of new library browser templates from steve oakley. However, I can't seem to find these in my try and buy version. They are no different to those in FX 8. Do they only come with the full version?

FX 9 doesn't have the Tint filter is that replaced by one of the BCC filters?

BCC Steel plate, Rock and Brick filters that I have in my current FX8 aren't in FX 9. I was told that this was an oversight and that they woudl be put back in. Are they in 9.1?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris FX 9
by on Mar 8, 2007 at 5:33:31 pm

I'll do what I can to answer your questions:

Return to posts index

JackWhiteIIIRe: Boris FX 9
by on Mar 8, 2007 at 8:05:17 pm

Thanks Peter

Any idea when the Z Blur and missing generator filters will be added?
The help file and the online help for FX 9 stil show motion path filter as available in FX 9 - If this is not the case then, as well as being a shame, you should really change the website / help file.

Write On is a featrue that appears in the manual / help file since I bought Grafitii 3.0 / FX8 and is still there for FX 9. If this is a mistake then it is disapointing and misleading - it has been there for years and I really think you should change it.

The Boris website specifically states one of the "reasons to upgrade" to FX 9 is that "industry effects guru Steve Oakley, a long time Boris advocate and digital effects compositor / editor, has contributed dozens of new keyframed effects which are included in the FX Library Browser" - Again, if this is wrong you really need to change your website.

Thanks for answering. I do appreicate it and do like your products.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Boris FX 9
by on Mar 9, 2007 at 3:18:26 pm

The missing filters will be added to FX 9 but as to exactly when is difficult for me to say. We have to add the code, then rebuild, retest and post. As soon as we can fit this into the schedule we will take care of it. I wish I could offer you a specific date for this but I cannot. All I can say is that it will happen sooner rather than later, if that makes sense. I'll make a posting to this forum once we have made available the release with the missing filters.

I agree with you in the fact that write-on appears in the manual for Graffiti and FX is a mistake that should have been corrected by now. The same write-on effect can be achieved without using the write on command - it just takes a little more time and effort. I'll bring this to the attention of the documentation staff - thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The presets which Steve Oakley made that were added to the product line initially were intended to be included in the RED, Graffiti and FX products however we couldn't include them for FX. The web site text was made before this fact become known and we never got around to removing this as a feature. I'll ask the webmaster to make the change to the site. Thanks for pointing this out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved