BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Can't Get Levels to match from FCP to RED to FCP

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Countdown
Can't Get Levels to match from FCP to RED to FCP
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:54:34 pm

I've captured some video, turned them into freeze frames and exported them from FCP 5.1.2. Then I added this still (.pct seemed to make the right size, as .tif cut off some black at the edge) to my RED 4.1 composition (4:3 aspect ratio, Z=0). Exported a movie 1 frame long as FCP 10bit uncompressed, also as None (Best), and when I import those movies back into FCP the levels are off. The black levels drop down and the vector shifts a few degrees (slightly noticeable in facial flesh tones). How do I get the levels to match between the applications?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Can't Get Levels to match from FCP to RED to FCP
on Feb 20, 2007 at 3:25:29 pm

HI,

It's possible that RED may have clipped the values of the image to color safe - to prevent RED from doing this you should disable the "Generate Safe Levels" option which is in the project settings (not the preference settings.) If this doesn't do the trick then it may have more to do with the conversion of the image across color space and bit depths between the applications. Although RED can handle 16 bit color, FCP only passes 8 bit data through the API. Have you tried using RED in standalone at 16 bit to see if that prevents the shift from occurring?

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Countdown
on Feb 21, 2007 at 4:10:53 pm

Thanks for your response.
I am using RED as a standalone.
The "generate safe levels" is unchecked in the project settings.
I'll try 16 bit, but I don't think the magnitude of the difference here can be accounted for by this.
I'll keep pluggin.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Feb 21, 2007 at 8:00:05 pm

I'd be very interested in obtaining a copy of the image and seeing if we can reproduce this in house - that way we can better determine where the problem exists. I suspect it's going to the 10 bit codec that is causing the loss in data but can't be sure until I give it a shot myself.

Please contact me at peterm@borisfx.com if you can send me that sample frame.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]