BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Can someone help a newbie ?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stevie003497
Can someone help a newbie ?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 2:37:24 pm

Hello all,
Today I got Boris Blue, and already on day one, I'm having trouble. Tried to import an avi from the composite-window menu. Seems like it loaded something, but all I see in the composite window is a CHECKERBOARD.
Did I load it from the wrong area ? Is it something in the settings ?
Why do I only see a checkerboard ??
I'm not going to have much joy with this program, if I basically can't load / see a avi !!
Did I read the manual ?? Heck, in 800 pages of telling you everything about what I don't want to know ( at this stage ) in the best traditions of manuals, it doesn't tell you the basic of all basics !!
Can someone help me please ? This must be the most unforgiving program of all time !!
Thanks from Steve.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
Re: Can someone help a newbie ?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 4:45:38 pm

Steve, I don't have Blue as my graphics card won't support it, but with Red, I always found that the best way is to create a movie track and then go find the movie ob your hard drive. I have had issues like yours in the past when my graphics card was having a hard time dealing with OPENGL. Make sure that your card is up to date and passes all opengl tests.

Mark

Return to posts index

stevie003497
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:24:49 pm

Hello Steve,
Thanks for your advice-you are right.
"create a movie track and then go find the movie ob your hard drive "
How do I do that, and what does " ob " mean ?

Come to think of it, upon entry to Blue, it gives me a message, saying open gl is not supported.

My computer is one month old, a very good graphics card, heaps ram etc. I operate After Effects, Ultra, Cinema 4d, Ulead products, Vegas, Premiere,
Bryce, and almost every 3d-rendering program, and NLE known to mankind !! I do lots of " powerful stuff " with all these programs.
Stranger still, I also have just bought Boris FX - WITH NO PROBLEMS !! ( with seeing an avi ).

I cannot change my machine just because of one damn program !! Think of the endless re-activation nightmares, for all my programs !!

For a program not to even DISPLAY a avi, is probably the equivalent of having a computer from the year 1850 !! ( if there was such a thing ).

And, I have always thought that OPEN GL was generalised over-the-top nonsense.
This program holds such a gun to your head, that it won't even display a damn avi !! Good lord. Had I known that, I would not have bought it.

Looks like I will use BLUE for " more gentle " work, like stills.
Gosh, now I really have the BLUES !! Ha.

Thanks from Steve.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:49:53 pm

Steve,

"Ob" means that I typed too quickly and was meant to read "on" :-)

Blue needs a Quadrofx card to work. I use an ATI card, that is why I haven't been able to give it a spin. I saw it last year at NAB and was thoroughly impressed. The thing is, that I believe that Blue needs that type of card also for the render, as the render has been passed along to the GPU...

To create or modify a track to make it ready for video, either click where it says v1 on the timeline and select movie...or there is should be an icon on the top left of the timeline that looks like a movie frame...this is the shortcut to create a new movie track.

As I said, I haven't yet used Blue, so I can't confirm that this is the exact procedure, usually though all Boris products work pretty much the same.

Mark

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:02:19 pm

Um... It sounds like you bought blue with out checking the system requirments first? Blue relies very heavily on Open GL for EVERYTHING, and if your card fails the open GL Test, blue really won't do much at all, if it does anything....

I run Blue on a PC with an nVidia 6600Gt card and 1 GB RAM and that does well. If your card does not pass the open GL test, you do not need a new computer, but you might need a new graphics card.

this is a page from boris website with a list of supported graphics cards:

http://www.borisfx.com/product/blue/requirements.php

HTH
A.D.

Return to posts index

stevie003497
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:29:47 pm

Thanks Mark and Arthur,
I will do more investigation.
Best regards from Steve.

Return to posts index