BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Bump Map Effect Help

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CountdownBump Map Effect Help
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 9:26:44 pm

I'm trying to make what I think should be called a bump map effect and don't know fi RED 4.1 can do it or not. Maybe I've got the name of the effect wrong, but I haven't been able to pull off the look I'm going for.

I have a large still of cloth.
I have a standard def video movie.
The video is positioned over/in one of the squares of the cloth.
Both tracks are in a container so I can Zoom in/out on the cloth to get to a full size shot of the video to make the transition.
(so far I've succeeded at this)
I want the video to have the same sort of texture as the cloth. Where there's a bumpiness in the cloth, then I could hit it with a light and give the illusion that the video has that same bumpy texture/pattern as the rest of the cloth. (don't want to use the cloth filter, not even close to my quilt pattern, sorry). Composite modes just seem to give a flat blend of some sort, no lighting illusions. BCC Bump Map, seems to use tiny 25x25 pixel black and white images to make the bump not the 720x480 I'd need. And I don't know the format those ".bcp" files-- thought maybe I could load in a piece of the original cloth in black&white but can't seem to find the handles/workflow for that either.

How can I pull off the effect of the video image being woven into (sorta) the rest of the cloth?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Bump Map Effect Help
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 5:35:43 pm

Hi,

Here is one approach that should work for you:

Return to posts index

countdownRe: Bump Map Effect Help
by on Feb 9, 2007 at 6:31:50 pm

[peter mcauley] "

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2007 at 5:26:37 pm

Wait a minute.
My entire computer is running incredibly slowly. Theres some "mds" file running as root in my activity monitor taking up 99.8% of my CPU. I performed all the basic maintenance steps I knew and called Apple. After an hour or so we concluded it was a software issue on the main user account. I trashed desktop files and then deleted PPC RED 4.1. Problem disappeared. I'll try and reinstall Intel RED 4.1 and see if I can check that box. I'll get back with you.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2007 at 6:04:54 pm

Just reinstalled per the instructions ***Boris RED in FCP 5.1*** but without downloading new try and buy and new versions of the 4.1 update. Good news is there's no mystery process running under root. Bad news is that it's running incredibly slow. To change the light type, I wait for the spinning rainbow a minute and then I can select SPOT or something. To move the bump height slider I have to wait several minutes. No interactivity here. Just loading up the project (3 stills and 2 compositions) took several minutes. Everytime RED attempts to do something, my Activity monitor says its using 99.x% of available CPU. Must be something wrong. I guess I'll try and download again, but those are huge files and will cost me another day to wait for it to come and then try it.
Is anyone else getting this program to work well on a PPC 2GHz dual processor, OS X.4.7?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2007 at 6:04:54 pm

Just reinstalled per the instructions ***Boris RED in FCP 5.1*** but without downloading new try and buy and new versions of the 4.1 update. Good news is there's no mystery process running under root. Bad news is that it's running incredibly slow. To change the light type, I wait for the spinning rainbow a minute and then I can select SPOT or something. To move the bump height slider I have to wait several minutes. No interactivity here. Just loading up the project (3 stills and 2 compositions) took several minutes. Everytime RED attempts to do something, my Activity monitor says its using 99.x% of available CPU. Must be something wrong. I guess I'll try and download again, but those are huge files and will cost me another day to wait for it to come and then try it.
Is anyone else getting this program to work well on a PPC 2GHz dual processor, OS X.4.7?

Return to posts index

CountdownRe: Bump Map Effect Help
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 9:53:14 pm

I couldn't get the TNB downloaded. Apparently you need some sort of password to login. The owner doesn't remember getting a password. So I humming along without them. I've imported smaller stills to use as bump map media and that seems to have picked up the pace quit a bit for RED. I'm still trying to get the images pinned into the corners of the cloth squares. See post above about BCC Corner Pin in RED 4.1 if you can help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]