BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Video locked on new install

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron1111Video locked on new install
by on Jan 31, 2007 at 4:54:20 pm

I have recently installed Boris Red into my personal system in conjuction with Avid Xpress Pro. I'm running my system on windows xp pro.

The problem I'm having is that nothing having to do with video works, either through the Avid or on the stand alone engine itself.

Graphics (fonts) work fine, but if I try to do anything with a video clip, the image is just frozen. When I drag along the timeline, nothing changes.

When I apply the clip in Avid, the shot is still frozen, even after rendering.

I've gone in and made all of the correct selections in the preferences and the auto-update monitor is checked as well.

I can't figure out why this isn't working. I have plenty of RAM, 2G, and the rest of my system is all Avid approved.

Is there a setting inside the code somewhere that needs to be changed because I would think at least the engine would work?

I'm scratching my head and can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?

Return to posts index

Larry AsbellRe: Video locked on new install
by on Jan 31, 2007 at 5:01:28 pm

Went thru this myself. Go to the menu: Preview/Image/and select Update Source. I'm not sure whether static motion (Source) is the default or whether I threw it off. Your question makes me think it's the default. I don't get it.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Ron1111Re: Video locked on new install
by on Feb 2, 2007 at 10:53:38 pm

Thanks Larry. This worked. I had tried this before, but it doesn't work with the 1.0 Boris plug-ins on my version of Avid. It does work with the 1.5 plug-in.

I had installed and reinstalled the program several times trying to figure it out. The last time I didn't install 1.5, so when I tried what you suggested it didn't work. After installing the correct plug-in it now works fine.

Thanks again.

If you have time I have one more question for you. When using the engine, everytime I bring in a quicktime or graphic, the timeline only shows the first second of what should be there. Just 1 second... 30 frames. This was another reason for my great confusion.

I've looked all through the preferences and other settings and am not finding anything that will allow the entire clip to come in.

Any ideas or advice?

Return to posts index

Larry AsbellRe: Video locked on new install
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 1:46:18 am

Maybe the problem is that the duration of a new composition is 1 sec. so that's all that will play. To make it the right length, type your clips duration into the "Dur." box in the Composite window. If you want all new compositions to be longer you can enter a longer time in Project Settings.

- Larry

Return to posts index

Ron1111Re: Video locked on new install
by on Feb 12, 2007 at 5:52:57 pm

Thanks for the advice once again. Resetting the duration is indeed the ticket, I am just surprised it doesn't see the duration of the clip and adjust automatically when you bring it in. We all use Boris in conjuction with the Avid timeline so much of the time it didn't occur to me that this was normal.

I have looked, as well as some of my co-workers, as to where you can permanently change the duration in project settings without any success. Under the cache portion you can change within that project for adding new clips, but nothing that seems to stick when opening a new project.

Maybe you've found something we couldn't, but regardless, thanks for the help. I appreciate it very much. Everything is running smoothly now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved