COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steveflpwho else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 22, 2007 at 9:22:55 pm

as boris no longer works on final cut - who else sell plug in effects

Return to posts index

Paul  FXRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 22, 2007 at 10:05:11 pm

Steve, Boris plugs work in FCP. there have been many updates to both product lines and maybe you just need a patch. which Boris product do you need to get working in FCP?

Paul
Technical Support Team
Boris FX, Inc.
260 Cedar Hill Street, Marlboro, MA 01752, USA

Return to posts index

KentwolfRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 1:36:06 am

>>...there have been many updates to both product lines...

Where is a documented list of what updates were done to Boris Red 4.1?

This is in reference to a post I made about the release notes of Red 4.1 simply being a duplicate of the previous version (which received no [authoritative] reply).

Thank you.

Kent Wolf

Return to posts index

Bill PortuneRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 3:15:11 pm

When are Transitions going to work...

What about when Final Cut 6 arrives, will this cripple RED again for months...

Return to posts index

Tim LangstonRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 3:44:20 pm

How's communications between Apple and Boris? Are things OK? This might not be the case but it seems like Boris and Apple are not getting along. Does Boris plan on contiued support of the Intel Macs, or will Boris be for PC only?

Paul, please let us know... if you're allowed.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 7:04:29 pm

Hi Tim,

We always have and always will continue to support Apple hardware with our solutions. We actually get along with Apple just fine - always have and hopefully always will. :)

Currently we offer RED, Graffiti, FX and BCC on Macintosh PPC and MacIntel platforms. MacIntel as a platform is actually quite new and it takes a tremendous amount of engineering effort to recode products that were designed to run on PPC Macs so that they will run on MacIntel systems in Universal Binary mode. If you are using a Universal Binary host you must use Universal Binary plug-ins as PPC plug-in architecture based filters do not run within Universal Binary host applications.

We lost transitions as an option from within the FCP timeline, but you know, you can still achieve an identical effect by simply going into Boris RED as a filter instead of a transition and then performing the transition from within the RED UI. I know it's a workaround but it's actually quite easy - we can help you with that if you would like. And s soon as the problem is corrected, which incidentally is not on the Boris end, the transitions will come back.

I hope this helps you with the questions that you had and please feel free to contact me personally regarding any of this or with other questions / concerns that you may have regarding Boris products.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Chris BabbittRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 24, 2007 at 2:43:51 am

"you can still achieve an identical effect by simply going into Boris RED as a filter instead of a transition and then performing the transition from within the RED UI."

Can this be achieved in FX as well?

Return to posts index

Paul  FXRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 24, 2007 at 3:12:20 am

this is true. if anyone is unfamiliar with this method, email us at support@borisfx.com and we can send you a PDF that explains how to do this.

Return to posts index

Chris BabbittRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 24, 2007 at 4:34:54 pm

Paul,

It just occurred to me that maybe I should try re-installing FCP 5.1. I don't think I really gained anything from 5.1.2. Will FX9 do transitions in 5.1 on an Intel Mac?

Return to posts index

TheBorisRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 23, 2007 at 5:18:28 pm

Not to worry, Boris has a great developer relationship with Apple and the integration will only improve in the near future. Sorry about temporary loss of the transition feature. It is coming back. I can't say when and how. Stay tuned.

Return to posts index

Tim LangstonRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 24, 2007 at 10:43:39 am

I guess the big question is, will the new find the old? As in saved projects that are from Red 3....Red 4 and Red 4.1. When Apple gets it together for the MacPro, will we be waiting on Boris to release another point upgrade for the transitions to work? And will we still need to jump thru hoops like running a seperate script to have Red recognize older versions and have caps lock down to start FCP for the first time...quit and restart without caps lock and need to have the older versions still loaded? (this is of course if we have moved our older projects from a G5 to a MacPro)

I have projects that are updated from month to month...year to year and when the new Red has problems finding the old and your clients sitting over your shoulder chewing down Rolaids asking "whats up with the transitions and effects?" You tend to start worring a bit and realize you need to spend some time at no charge to fix Boris.

Can we be so bold to ask for the next point upgrade to include all that is needed to run older Red versions along with the new without going back and loading older versions and then running a seperate script and then holding the caps lock for the first time starting FCP then closing and restarting without the caps lock?

Paul, please don't read this as me attacking or being angry, maybe just a little frustrated. I think we all understand what you said earlier about writting for the new Mac Intel, and I hope that these comments and concerns are taken as feedback and not criticism. I think all of us appreciate your quick response to all our questions, I for one sure do.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dave JenkinsRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 1:16:38 am

I'm with you Tim, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to open older versions. That is STANDARD in all software I know of. Boris 4.1 purchases are on hold here until we see what happens at NAB. I'll stick with Red 3.0

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: who else sell plug in like boris
by on Jan 29, 2007 at 3:19:19 pm

Hi Tim,

In speaking for the company, I can safely say that we are sympathetic to your and other users woes with regard to the transition from FCP on the PPC based Macs and Intel based Macs. It has been tough not only for users to make this migration but also for developers - if it were an easy task then you would see that all manufacturers would have native Universal Binary versions of their software available within a short time after the emergence of the first of these systems but the fact is that it is a tough bit of coding and it takes time and a considerable effort to make it happen. The fact that we are actually able to offer a UB version of the software says a lot about our commitment to this platform.

Regarding the integration issues that you have been experiencing - this is something that is for the most part out of our hands. We had no control over the fact that changes were made to FCP by Apple engineering which caused the RED Transitions to stop working however we have had assurance from Apple that they will have the fix for this publicly available with their next release of FCP. We don't know when this will be available but I'm sure it couldn't be that far away. And you can still do transitions while you are waiting for the fix by using the RED filter instead of the RED Transition and doing all of the transition work from within RED.

The Caps Lock issue was a stop gap solution that was the brainchild of one of our engineers who could find no other way around the problem. The problem had to do with creating the FCP user data and FCP cache files post a fresh installation of RED. Again, there was nothing that we could do code around the problem and this was the most user friendly solution that we could come up with.

Migrating projects forward from previous versions of the software will work seamlessly with the Universal Binary version of RED. You can open a RED 3 project into RED 4.1 if you use this version of the software. If it doesn't work then please let me know as it works here in our labs.

I hope this goes at least some way to help provide resolution for some of the problems that have been the topic of this thread. Please feel free to contact me personally or on this list regarding any of this. Also, please continue to offer your feedback - it is vital that we hear from you regarding how well (or not) the software that you have purchased from us meets your expectations. Thank you for all of this.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]