BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hobie480Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Jan 13, 2007 at 10:00:32 pm

I don't know what I've done to cause this. I understand that I can't change the time Duration in Graffiti when it was launched from Vegas 7, but shouldn't the Graffiti timeline show the effect duration as supplied by Vegas? I can't change the Duration field, and when I enter the end time (10 seconds) into the Graffiti Time field, it just reverts back to 00:00:00;01. So what I have is essentially a one frame effect, when I want the effect to be the 10 seconds I set it to be in Vegas 7.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jay AllenRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Jan 14, 2007 at 4:42:35 pm

I had the same problem untill i was told to use grafitti as a filter - only then you will be able to change duration and work w/ the animation in Vegas

Return to posts index

Hobie480Re: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Jan 14, 2007 at 4:51:09 pm

Wow Jay! That seems to do the trick. That "little" fact should be put somewhere very prominent in the Boris FX user manual under the Hosting Applications - Sony Vegas section. I can't tell you how much time I have wasted over the past couple of days trying to figure out how to make this work.

Thanks Again!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2007 at 6:58:03 pm

I've worked with this a little more now, and if this is the "answer", I don't think it's an acceptable "work around" for a program that costs this much, and touts it's integration with Sony Vegas. While I am able to add animated text as a filter, this precludes being able to 1) See it as a separate event on the Vegas timeline and 2) If the text needs to go over more than one video event (as in this case it does), I'd have to render out the clips to create "one" clip to overlay the text onto. I've submitted a tech support report to Boris FX about this, but am not sure what kind of support I'll get, since the last problem I tried to get some help with was submitted over a week ago, and I haven't heard back from them at all.

Did the answer you gave (use Graffiti as a Video FX instead of as a Media Generator) come from your interaction with Boris FX or did you get this from another source?

I've found that these (Creative Cow) type of user forums usually give the fastest and best answers. Digital Juice also has a very good Vegas user forum that I've interacted with in the past.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2007 at 9:53:14 pm

I too spend a few days beating my head trying to get it to work. All manuals refer to old product or little new info.

If you could try to check the drop shadow box in the text window w/ grafitti - and see if this crashes vegas??
It does it to both my systems.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2007 at 3:16:52 pm

Jay,

I'm at work now (don't have Graffiti on this system), but I will check when I get home tonight. I can tell you however, I've been playing with both the shadow and the 3D drop shadow without incident (for text). I have been applying these to text on a plane that has been extruded to give the text depth. It sounds like we're both struggling with the exact implementation of some of the features of Graffiti. Are you selecting the shadow from the "Text" window, or on the "Controls" window. If this doesn't make sense, let me know, and I'll copy some screen shots for you to see what I'm talking about.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2007 at 2:01:31 pm

im applying it in the text window

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2007 at 2:09:21 pm

I just tried to apply the drop shadow through the control window and it works fine - i just cant apply it from the text window

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2007 at 3:13:22 pm

Jay,

The problem I DID have when working in the text window is whenever I:
1) Select some or all of the text in the text window
2) Open the text Font dropdown list (to select a different font)
3) Start stepping down through the list of fonts by pressing the down arrow key (which applies the selected font to my highlighted text)
4) I don't know the exact count, but after stepping through 10-15 fonts Graffiti justs closes (no warning, no error message, etc.)

The other thing that I personally noticed, and later read about in the user manual (somewhere), is that if you apply the drop shadow in the Text window, then apply the Shadow or 3D Shadow from the Controls window, they will apply a shadow to the (text window) shadow, which gives an unnatural final effect. I think the bottom line is use the Text shadow option only when you are doing a quick text effect, and NOT when you want to have animated elements of text that are being controlled by items in the Controls window.

I did hear from Borix FX tech support yesterday, but I'm not sure they understand what I was after (or I don't understand their answer). I finally last night, created a Generated Media text event (a Sony Vegas text), opened that event and removed the "sample text" text, leaving an empty "container" that I then applied the Borix FX "effect" of a three dimensional text that has animated character spacing, which seemed to work OK. I think this is an acceptable work-around to me.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Mar 9, 2007 at 4:23:08 pm

I have to agree with you - having just got Grafitti to use in Premiere - it seems to work the same way. You have to apply it as an effect, rather than as a title, such as using the host application's titler. I guess Boris products are built as effects tools, even the CG. That is not how it used to work, but what are you gonna do?

I guess the benefits of a robust effects program outweigh the inconvenience of changing our workflow to accommodate the new software.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Deaf ProducerRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Jan 17, 2007 at 9:46:14 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know how to fix this problem that I'm using Graffiti on FCP?

What I did was I tried to drag it down to the FCP Sequence and change the length of it (by draging in or out)...and then double click it to edit it to see if timeline length changed..and it STILL in the one frame mode.

Please HELP! SOS!

Thanks,

Shane Dundas

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2007 at 5:44:12 am

Shane,

Please don't take this wrong, but won't you have a better chance of getting help with FCP (Final Cut Pro?) in the appropriate forum? It sounds like you're running into the same thing I have been (with Vegas 7 and Graffiti 5).

Here's what I've been able to do to work around this:
1) I insert a Vegas "Generated Media" event, which is the Vegas text/titling part of the program. This event can be dropped onto any timeline and sized to whatever time interval I want. I remove the default text Vegas applies to the event (Sample Text), leaving an "empty container" to hold the Graffiti "effect" (animated text from Graffiti).
2) I then go the the Vegas "Media FX" area and drag the effect labeled Graffiti (instead of one of the included Vegas ones), which shows up on the "Media FX" list of effects as a plug-in. I drag the Graffiti "effect" onto the text event I created in step 1 above.
3) I then open the effect editor for that event, which displays the Graffiti "effect", and click on it, which then automatically loads Graffiti.
4) I make whatever changes I need in Graffiti, including being able to CHANGE THE DURATION (TIME) OF THE "EFFECT" (i.e. get out of the One Frame problem).
5) Once I have everything like I want it, I press the Apply button in the Timeline window of Graffiti, which then closes and puts me back to Vegas with the changes I made in Graffiti incorporated into the Vegas "Generated Media" text event I inserted onto my timeline in step 1.

Hopefully this gives you something to try. The problem you may encounter is being able to take what I do in Vegas and apply it to FCP.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Deaf ProducerRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Jan 18, 2007 at 4:33:57 pm

Hello Hobie,

Many thanks! I appreciate your response. I'll try to post it at the FCP forum. Thanks for pointing few things out.

Have a good one.

Shane

Return to posts index

Nazmi UnarRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Feb 15, 2008 at 11:35:32 am

Hi all,

I had the same problem as yours, and finally i fixed it.

The problem is ;
I ve changed the animation duration in Graffiti, but when i applied it, it could not be applied at Vegas timeline. They are not matched eachother.

The solution is ;
In Vegas, right click and create a "Media Generator" , and select Boris Graffiti at the panel. Adjust the duration of generated media (for ex. if you made a graffiti as 15 sec., adjust generated media as 15 secs.)

IMPORTANT : Do NOT enter Graffiti from the window seen, just close it.

Then click to add FX button on the created media. (small fx button at the right bottom corner of the clip. Select Graffiti and now you can see the FX window with Graffiti. Now enter Graffiti From there. This can do the trick.. Apply your animation with your own duration in Graffiti. Then apply it. Thats all..

IMPORTANT : Generated Media lenght and Graffiti duration length has to be matched eachother (like 15 secs all).

I hope this information could be usefull.

You can e-mail me if you have any problem concerning this situation.

Regards,
Nazmi Unar

Return to posts index

jose martinezRe: Graffiti 5 in Vegas 7 - Event Duration of Only ONE Frame!
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:03:32 pm

Thx to Nazmi,

This is the solution! (it is not an "elegant solution" but it works!).

Does anyone is there is a patch or another way to fix this problem?

I am a vegas 9 user and graffiti 5.2.

Thx again Nazmi

Jose Martinez
Amateur user

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]