BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

After Effects support

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gcoffee
After Effects support
on Jan 7, 2007 at 7:20:22 pm

Am I missing something, or did Boris drop After Effects host support for 4?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: After Effects support
on Jan 8, 2007 at 6:53:15 pm

With RED 3GL, we were only able to offer support for AE 7 on Windows, and feedback from our users indicated that there was not actually a great call or need for RED (which is a compositor) within AE (also a compositor) due to the fact that BCC has most of the more commonly used filters that are included in RED and uses the AE host native UI. With that we decided to place a greater emphasis on support for NLE systems with RED 4, where RED is relied upon more heavily for effects creation and compositing. So while RED 4 may not function within the AE 7 timeline, you can still render out clips from RED 4 and import the rendered clips back into AE 7, although you probably know that already.

I hope this helps explain the situation from our standpoint. Please feel free to contact me directly about any of this - my email is peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

jd mark
on Jan 9, 2007 at 12:04:27 pm

How come that AE plugin support is also dropped? I think that was a good way to expand Red's capabilities.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jan 9, 2007 at 3:09:51 pm

We most definitely still support the use of 3rd party plug-ins within RED, if that's what you mean. That is indeed one of the key features in RED. We have even build both PPC and UB (Power PC / Universal Binary) Mac versions of the latest RED (4.1) in order to facilitate the use of 3rd party filters that are not yet built as universal binary on the Mac. Of course on Windows this is a non-issue.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

jd mark
on Jan 9, 2007 at 10:43:35 pm

I'm sorry I presumed that because I tried to use some
Trapcode trial plugins and it didn't worked. But when I try it with Red 3GL it works.
How you import 3rd party filters?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jan 11, 2007 at 9:55:37 pm

If you're using RED 4.1 Universal Binary then you will only be able to use plugins that are also Universal Binary. The alternative is to use the PPC version of RED 4.1, which is included in the RED product installer, as the PPC version of RED 4.1 will indeed enable you to use non Universal Binary 3rd party filter effects such as in this case Trapcode Shine.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

jd mark
on Jan 12, 2007 at 1:29:23 am

I installed 4.1 update from borisfx.com but I don't know is it Universal Binary or PPC. I'm using it with Avid Media Composer on Windows XP. It's not mine computer it's on my work so I don't know details about it. When I install 3rd party plugins should I copy its files into Boris Plugins folder?
Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]