BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Replacing the text fill with something else in Red 4.0

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
erik1185
Replacing the text fill with something else in Red 4.0
on Jan 6, 2007 at 2:41:49 am

Hello,

I am trying to replace the solid white fill of a piece of text with a noise map effect. I know this is easy as hell but I cant figure it out.

Boris Red 4.0

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
Re: Replacing the text fill with something else in Red 4.0
on Jan 7, 2007 at 7:37:20 pm

Here's one way you can apply noise inside text with one filter: I'm assuming that you have created your text in a 3D Plane track, and that the text is large and bold. Click on the track's twirl down arrow and highlight the face track. Select in the Filters menu BCC Fractal Noise in the Generators group. You'll see a very mild texture in the type at this point. In the controls window: change Scale X to about 300, then click on the 3D Bump Mapping tab. Click the Use Bump Map check box and adjust these settings: Light Intensity to 200, Specular Intensity to 70 and Bump Height to 400 (must enter this one numerically). This may or may not be the look you want, so you may go looking for other ways to apply stuff to the Face track.

Note that to use the Generator called BCC Bump Map you need to provide another filter or video track that actually produces the pattern. And BCC Noise Map filter cannot be used alone because it is meant to provide a noise to another filter. So BCC Bump Map and BCC Noise Map can to be used together. Apply Bump Map to the Face track of text and then twirl it down and apply Noise Map to it's Image Layer. Then go to Bump Map's tab called Surface Image and click on Use "Image Layer" Track. Adjust Scale, Bump Height, Lighting, etc. to taste.

If you have your own noise pattern in video form, then you can apply it to Bump Map's Image layer. An easy way to do this is to click on the V1 symbol on the image layer track and chose your movie or still source, or one of Boris' Natural Texture generators.

Later, when you get into extruded 3D type, the term you'll be looking for to apply video tracks onto the 3D surfaces is "Texture Mapping."

Hope this all helps,

Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

erik1185
on Jan 8, 2007 at 12:04:11 am

Thank alot, that did the trick!

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Jan 8, 2007 at 3:41:57 am

You're Welcome. I wish there were more questions like yours on this forum. Maybe I could learn something.

- LA

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jan 8, 2007 at 7:02:06 pm

As well as the great suggestions already mentioned, don't forget that you can use the text track as a matte by dragging and dropping it into the mask of any other track. For instance, if you have a texture track and want the text to assume this texture, simply drag and drop the text track into the upstream or downstream mask tracks of the texture track and presto ... instant cut-out of the texture track. Inverting the matte is easily achieved by clicking on the red invert mask button on the mask track.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]