BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Optical Flow filter help

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave GroenierOptical Flow filter help
by on Jan 2, 2007 at 4:46:59 pm

Does anyone out there have some experience with the optical flow filter?

I am trying to smooth out and speed up a jerky CAD animation. When I apply the filter with its default settings it doesn't seem to do anything, and the manual makes it seem like a lot of tweaking is needed depending on the look of the footage. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could this be used for some kind of film look with standard 30i video?

Dave G

Dave Groenier

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Optical Flow filter help
by on Jan 2, 2007 at 8:29:35 pm

Hi Dave,

The BCC Optical Flow filter will only affect the clip to which it was applied if the settings have been changed from default. At default the filter is set to a velocity of 100, which is 100% of the speed of the original and the input frame rate is set to 29.97, which is standard for NTSC video. If you change either of these settings from their default you will see a change in the clip. Experimentation is key here, so set the speed that you want using velocity, then adjust the input frame rate to get a more film like look and feel. to slow a clip to half speed, set velocity to 50% and to give it a film like look/feel, set the input frame rate to 24 FPS.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Dave GroenierRe: Optical Flow filter help
by on Jan 4, 2007 at 3:32:41 pm

Thanks, I guess that makes sense that the filter won't create any intermediate frames unless I change the velocity. Duh!

However I did try the 24 frame input setting and it just made it look like bad video instead of film. Maybe there's more tweaking to be done? Is there a big difference whether I use the engine or the host interface?

Dave Groenier

Return to posts index

gerardo CamposRe: Optical Flow filter
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 5:27:11 am

I was playing a little bit with the plugin, and my conclutions are: 1.- to slow down a 50% is allways better the nle tools, in my case Sony Vegas 10c 64bit. 2.- is really usefull when go go to a 5% of speed, then you get a real diference and all the jerky things that the plugin put near the moving objects don't matter.
So the plugin is for make really very slow motion, not little slow motion. Sorry for my english.

Gerardo Campos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved