BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Is it possible to use Boris RED to do a split screen effect?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
Is it possible to use Boris RED to do a split screen effect?
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:19:04 am

Media 100i XR 8.2.2 Mac OS 10.3.9 Boris RED 2.5

I want to do a comparison of some 8mm film footage that has been transferred with two different processes. I want to have it on the screen at the same time so the difference will be very obvious. so, a split screen came to mind but I don't know how to do it. I have the different clips digitized in my NLE. Can RED be of use in accomplishing this?
Any help appreciated,
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: Is it possible to use Boris RED to do a split screen effect?
on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:51:08 am

Yes, this effect can be done easily.

Simply place the clips on different tracks, then use the Crop on the top layer. Remember to turn off the lock so that you can set either just the left or right distance. Shazam! There's your split screen.

Add titles as required and you're done.

HTH

Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:28:14 pm

I set a 5 second compositon on my timeline. then into Edit mode I imported in movie media on 2 separate tracks. I positioned them on the right and left sides of the wcreen respectfully. Only one track is seen at a time. I have to shu the eye of one track to see the other play.
I do not know where the Crop is you mentioned. I have the tracks all unlocked.

How can I see them both run at the same time? also can i have a vertical line in the middle to visually separate them?

thanks, jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 19, 2006 at 9:03:38 pm

You're almost there.

When you have your movies on two tracks, don't reposition them. Select the top track. In the Controls panel, where you did your repositioning, start looking through the tabs at the top. You'll see a crop tab.

Now simply click on the padlock to unlock it, and either change the Left or Right crop to 360. Make sure that this keyframe is set to constant.

Play through and both tracks should play happily.

You can simply create a new spline primitive track to create a line down the middle. My brain has shut down, so I can't think of the more elegant solution at the mo.

Hope that makes sense,
Ben

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:36:48 am

I am so close but very frustrated. I have both movies on different tracks. I selected the top track, in controls i selected the crop, unlocked, set to half screen vertical. So now both movie tracks are on the left side of the screen on top of each other. they both run but you can only see one at at time by shutting the eye on one track. I want them to play on opposite sides of the screen. Right now the left side is black.

I know it can be done. Please give me a few more instructions.
Thanks

jerome

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 20, 2006 at 11:18:03 am

I've quickly stuck a couple of demo projects together for you and you can get them here.

One's just the simple split down the middle. The other repositions one layer so that you can see the same part of the video on each side of the screen.

Just replace with your video and all should be well. All I've done really is the cropping I mentioned above.

I didn't know which version of Red you're using so they're V3 projects.

Cheers,
Ben

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
Re: examples
on Dec 20, 2006 at 9:03:52 pm

Thanks very musch for your efforts. But I have Boris RED 2.5 and I get the messgae "Cannot open this settings file. Upgrade to Boris RED to open it". Then in Media 100 when I try to import it I get "not enoug memory".

Thanks for trying this would have been perfect for me to see.
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 21, 2006 at 2:14:23 pm

Well, give this one a go. It's a V5.0 BorisFX project, so you should be able to open it.

Looking back on FX v5.0, it's amazing how much of the application I take for granted that just wasn't there back then, and my new RED 4 is even sexier. Don't quite know where I was going with that.

Anyways, hope this one works for you.

Ben

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
on Dec 21, 2006 at 8:25:42 pm

Thanks again, but I can't get it onto my desk top to import or open in Boris or Media 100. The split with RED 3 zipped on to my desktop. But this FX5 file just opens up to the code within Creative Cow. Sorry to bother you again, but we wre getting closer.
Jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 21, 2006 at 9:23:43 pm

Just Ctrl-click and save link to disk. You should be able to open it up in Red after that.

Cheers.
Ben

Return to posts index

Editz
on Dec 22, 2006 at 12:30:08 am

Not to be a grinch here, but shouldn't you be able to do this using stock Media 100 effects? I've never cut on one, but if it's anywhere close to an Avid, a splitscreen can be achieved in mere seconds.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 22, 2006 at 6:23:43 am

Not Grinchy at all. :o)

There's a thread about this on the Media 100 forum too, with another way of doing this. Just waiting now for Jerome to say he's got it sorted.

Return to posts index

Jerome Robbins
results
on Dec 27, 2006 at 10:12:49 pm

Thank you all for your help and ideas.

Media 100 using the Cross Stretch transition at 50 % did just what I wanted with a split vertically down the middle of the screen. I spent a lot of time messing with the Boris RED but every little change took so long that it was too frustrating to wait as I had deadlines to hit before Chritmas.

thanks again,
I will get it on my website if you want to see it.

jerome

jerome

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]