BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Red3GL Dead in the Water?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joeldberryRed3GL Dead in the Water?
by on Nov 2, 2006 at 6:32:49 pm

So, has there been any progress in updating Red3GL to work with the latest Avid XPress Pro (5.6.3) or are we still dead in the water?

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Red3GL Dead in the Water?
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 2:39:39 pm

Actually the patch that we made was in the form of RED 4 so you'll need to upgrade for RED to work with that version of Avid XPress Pro.

I hope this helps,

Return to posts index

joeldberryRe: Red3GL Dead in the Water?
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 5:23:12 pm

This is VERY disconcerting and disappointing news on behalf of Boris. In another post, we were told:

"There has been changes in the plug-in interface in the latest Avid releases on Mac that will require us to rebuild our products. Fortunately, the change for RED 3/FX8/GR4 product line appears to be rather small and we plan to post a free patch in a short period of time."

That was back in July. Now we are told that we are going to have to pay $300 to upgrade just to be able to USE (and get around known issues and bugs in) software that WE already purchased because of changes that WE had no control over, even after we were told that a patch was going to quickly and easily be made available for free?

I am sorry, and my past impression of Boris, which was outstandingly favorable, has now been tarnished by this complete lack of respect for its customers. First, promising a FREE patch, then saying that patch has (conveniently) been implemented in a new product that we must now upgrade and purchase in order to make use of software that we already own. That is SAD.

What a terrible trend in the industry this is becoming: companies NOT supporting the software that they have sold their customers, but rather making their customers buy new software in order to get around "bugs" and "problems" that are acknowledged issues!

I am VERY, VERY, VERY disappointed in Boris... Combustion and After Effects are looking much, much more inviting... Autodesk recently even made a Universal version of Combustion 4 available for free. That's customer service. Boris seems to be into customer-gouging, not to mention lying ("free patch in a short period of time.")

This is a SAD reflection on your company.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved