BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Interested in Red 4 tutorials on the Cow?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lafauce jr.
Interested in Red 4 tutorials on the Cow?
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:17:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if users would like to see more Red tutorials featured on the Cow. Any suggestions you have or features in Red 4 you would like to learn more about?

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Gregory Leno
Re: Interested in Red 4 tutorials on the Cow?
on Oct 26, 2006 at 3:10:33 pm

Yes, I for one would like to see something. There is very little in the way of training for this program.
One thing I would like to see is effective ideas for effecient workflows. i.e. The best way to build projects so as to minimize the drain on your computers system resources. And still be able to preview them effectively, especially when building motion graphics.

Bottom line is anything would be wellcome.

Thanks

Greg

Return to posts index

Countdown
on Oct 27, 2006 at 5:33:00 pm

What are Boris Red Transitions in Final Cut Pro and how to use and/or make them.

Love,
Jeff

Final Cut Studio 5.1, G5 2GHz Dual Processr, 2.5Gb RAM, AJA IO

Return to posts index

Greyhound
on Oct 28, 2006 at 8:31:30 am

Hi John, I am very new to video & editing & have Avid Xpress Pro 5.6.2 & the Studio ToolKit 5.6.2 which has Boris 4 included in it. I have "plowed" through some Boris tutorials & have a basic question. When someones name goes on the screen usually at the bottom, there is usually a somewhat transparent color area about the size of the person's name. Would you please point me in the direction on what to look-up in the Boris help manual or whatever so I can practice making this item.

I've learned how to do some more advanced stuff in the Boris tutorials from following step by step but I assume this is considered too basic to warrant a "how to" in the Boris Red literature. But I know very little & am working at it everyday. Thank you very much in advance & have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

Richard Braden

Return to posts index

Editz
on Oct 28, 2006 at 8:38:16 pm

The quickest way is to check the "Make Backdrop Track" box in the Backdrop tab of your Text control window. From there, fiddle around with the controls or go to the newly created backdrop track nested inside your text track on the timeline and mess around with the associated Shape/Fill/Border/Shadow controls.

For more control, you could instead create individual color and/or spline tracks and adjust them to your tastes and needs. There are several pre-made text backdrops in the Keyframe Library, assuming you've already rendered out the thumbnails.

HTH

Return to posts index

Kentwolf
on Oct 29, 2006 at 7:01:10 am

>>...like to see more Red tutorials featured on the Cow.

Absolutely!!!

>>Any suggestions you have...

Red is so powerful, one can very well not even know what to ask for.

I have buzzing right along with the new Vexctor Trace tool! The simple free turorials on Borisfx.com are a huge help to me. Also, the Class on Demand sample clips are also very, very useful. No, they do not cover a whole bunch, but the little that is there is very helpful.

I do not remember such a big drive for tutorial material for Red 3GL. Perhaps the Boris folks got the message and are trying to fix that in Red 4.

To me, this is very, very welcone!

Return to posts index

John Lafauce jr.
on Oct 30, 2006 at 5:55:40 pm

Thanks for all the input. We are aware of the need for more "practical" oriented tutorials at Boris, and we will try to accomodate that need in the near future.

How to efficiently use Red transitions in FCP is a good suggestion, in fact, I bounced that idea off of one of our FCP experts here and he expressed an interest in writing it. In the meantime, feel free to check out Red's new online HTML help system. There's a section in the Red 4 User Guide called "Quick Starts" that can get you started using Red in certain host applications, including transitions in FCP.

If you're interested in learning the new Motion Path filter, I am in discussions with the Cow to post a tutorial on how to use it to fly a CG jet plane. It's a really cool tutorial that I think you will all like. Other tutorials currently in the works: How to use the new Color Match filter and How to Apply and customize a New Lower Third graphic.

I'll keep you posted on where to look for our tutorials as we release them. ...And, don't forget to check out some new video tutorials here if you haven't done so yet: http://www.borisfx.com/products/red4/tutorials/

Regards,

John

Return to posts index

Kentwolf
on Oct 31, 2006 at 2:20:19 am

>>How to efficiently use Red transitions in FCP...

It would be most helpful were the tutorials to be platform-independent; that being, primarily applicable to the stand-alone Red engine.

I would think that any tutorials in this format would then be applicable to all.

Just a thought...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Lafauce jr.
on Nov 1, 2006 at 9:13:36 pm

Thanks for the comment, Kentwolf. I can't speak for others who have written tutorials for Boris, but the three I just wrote are using the Red 4 Engine and not the plugin. I agree that tutorials should not focus on a particular host unless there is demand for them or a particular workflow needs to be emphasized.

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Nov 15, 2006 at 8:02:37 am

I see the point about platform independency; but having slogged my way through to figure out the basic titling using the generators in FCP for example -- on my own -- I think there's an amazing secret here for those of us using FCStudio and who are trying to make their titling work with Motion and/or Livetype. So I second the motion about workflow-oriented tutorials. For a lot of purposes (above all, static lower 3rds) Boris' software in FCP is far superior to using .motn files etc. It is simply more processor efficient and allows you to just get your work DONE! Tips and tricks on designing real-world basic good looking titling for EDITORS and not necessarily for Motion graphics people would be a real boost. But of course that is also a Graffiti thing, so maybe this is misplaced..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]