BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whit WalesTransitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 7, 2006 at 5:51:05 pm

Just finished a project in HDV and outputted via Compressor to create an MPG2 file.
I also made exported a self-contained movie directly via FCP.
In both outputs, transitions made in Red 4.0 were ignored.
While they rendered and played in the timeline of the project, no transition existed in either export. It was just a straight cut.
The optical flow filter that I used managed to translate.

Anyone else had a simlar experience?
Is there something I am missing, or is this a nasty little bug on which I have stumbled?

I am using: G5 2.0 DP, FCP 5.04, OSX 10.4.6

Return to posts index

Chris BabbittRe: Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 8, 2006 at 3:37:43 pm

I know this has been a problem for quite some time when exporting to Compressor directly from the FCP timeline. Boris transitions do not render. However, when I export a reference movie and export that to Compressor, the transitions are there. I don't think it should be any different with a self-contained movie, but try a reference movie instead.

Return to posts index

Tim LangstonRe: Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 9, 2006 at 5:12:43 pm

Still no fix for this problem??? Holy crap, seems that the upgrade was a waste of money. No Red Transitions from timeline when using Compressor, can't use with Mac Pro yet. Makes me wonder if they have the color and size problem fixed in the "text window"? Are we sure Boris is still supporting Mac?

I'm glad I've been too busy to install Red 4.

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN

Return to posts index

Dave JenkinsRe: Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:33:34 am

Not to mention Red 4 will not open Red 3 static titles from an FCP timeline.

Return to posts index

Chris BabbittRe: Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:51:28 pm

I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been more about this posted in this forum. Boris told me that they are workin on a fix for the Intel-compatibility issue. Maybe Tim Wilson could enlighten us on all this stuff. Where are you Tim?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Transitions in Red 4 and FCP 5.0.4
by on Oct 16, 2006 at 8:11:48 pm

We are discussing ways to convert the RED 3 settings so that they will open as RED 4 settings and will respond on this topic when we have something more concrete to offer.

I believe the upgrade from RED 3 to RED 4 was quite significant even if it did not offer a solution to the transition issue that is the topic of discussion here. The paint engine alone is a tremendous upgrade to the system that we had in RED 3 for paint, plus all of the other new filters and of course the revised GUI.

The transitions not rendering from FCP into Compressor without rendering the piece first in FCP is indeed something that has never worked. We have a log of this in the database and will see what we can do to help get around the current workflow, which is to export a movie from FCP and then import the movie file into Compressor. When we have more info regarding this we'll send a post to the list.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved