BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Fonts

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron1111Boris Fonts
by on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:59:52 pm

I am using an Avid Adrendline with Boris Red 3GL on a Windows XP system. The problem I'm having happens when I drop a boris plugin onto the Avid Timeline.

When using an outline on a font I am gettting jagged edges on the diagonal sections inside the face of the font.

The font was built off of one of the preset font animations in the Boris effects library.

You can't see it until after the effect is rendered. It seems as though it would be a bias problem but I can't find anywhere in the preferences or any where else to fix it.

I've also tried to fix this by makeing adjustment in both the title tool as well as on the timeline controls.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ron.

Return to posts index

EditzRe: Boris Fonts
by on Sep 21, 2006 at 11:33:58 pm

Any chance you're in Draft mode? Do you have Better Quality Field Rendering checked? 1:2:1 Deflickering?

Return to posts index

ron1111Re: Boris Fonts
by on Sep 22, 2006 at 2:10:10 am

Under General in Preferences the Render Options have Multi-Processor Enabled marked as well as Use Host Settings. Draft Render is not checked.

Under Local Project both 1:2:1 Deflickering is checked as well as Better Wuality Field Rendering.

This is true with both the application when opened through the Avid and through the Engine.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Boris Fonts
by on Sep 26, 2006 at 7:07:26 pm

When you say "outline font," I assume you mean half a PostScript font -- that is, missing the printer font. One, because that's the proper usage of the word, and won't work. Using the screen font (the outline) alone causes the jaggies to appear.

Here's the technology behind it. In other applications, the screen font alone is just fine for producing pretty output on the screen. That's what screen fonts are for, of course. You'll only see the jaggies when you print.

Whether you display your text in Boris as raster text or vector text, Boris *builds* the text as a vector element. This is what makes Boris text smooth at even massive sizes. But that smoothness is provided by the vector information contained in the PostScript file -- the printer font.

I can think of three workarounds:

1) Find the printer font, install it and you're good to go.

2) Use a TrueType version of the font you need. (TT combines screen and printer fonts in one package, so easier to keep track of.)

3) Choose another font for which either 1) or 2) is true.

I'd love to tell you to just flip a switch and everything will be fine, but that's the way it is.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Ron1111Re: Boris Fonts
by on Sep 28, 2006 at 6:07:13 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me back up a bit because your last reply was going in a different direction.

This is strictly an on screen video application and nothing that I'm trying to print.

I built some sentences using an animated reveal from the Boris Library. I then used a color from the pallet for fill and then applied an outline. This is what I was referring to as the outlined font.

After rendering the effect I was seeing "jaggies", as you put it, on the diagonal sections of each letter on the inside over the colored fill.

I tried this with both Arial and Verdana font styles.

Since your last post I also did some more experimenting and found that there is a difference with which color you choose for the fill.

With White there were no problems, the fill/outline was clean. I then tried it with several other colors and here are my results.

Yellow was good.
Blue was good.
Red was bad.... well defined jaggies.
Green was bad.
Blue was not as bad... jaggies but not so defined.
Orange was not as bad.

So there certainly seems to be a difference depending on what color of fill you choose to use with the font.

I haven't tried this with just a standard non-animated font, so maybe that's where the problem lies.

I do know that it is color dependant and that it only shows up after rendering.

Return to posts index

JPbondRe: Boris Fonts
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 6:58:06 pm

Rons suggestions worked for me. No jaggies. Thanks Ron.

Return to posts index

Ron1111Re: Boris Fonts
by on Nov 6, 2006 at 8:30:26 pm

I'm glad to hear you could use the info. Unfortunately, some of the colors still will cause the "jaggies" problem on the font. I don't know a fix for this, it may be something only Boris can figure out unless someone else out there has a suggestion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved