COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MRamblerDazed and Confused about Boris
by on Aug 3, 2006 at 12:30:44 am

I haven

Return to posts index

stephenlnoeRe: Dazed and Confused about Boris
by on Aug 4, 2006 at 12:09:25 am

The list you've created is easily accomplished in Boris Red. Red is FX and Graffiti combined (more or less). Red also plugs into Liquid and is launched from Liquid's timeline OR you can use Red's stand alone engine if you have the clips provided by the editor. Saving from the stand alone engine and importing into Liquid should not be an issue (if you prefer to work that way). What is the source material by the way? Hardware requirements for Red are; just about any modern PC or Mac. Enhanced operatbility is provided if you have an OpenGL video card. This will accelerate the preview. An added bonus to the stand alone Red engine is that it gives you the ability to preview your Red timeline on an external monitor if your video card has a TV out (ie Svid, DVI etc).

The basic book I recommend for newcomers is Chris Vadnais' book "instant Boris Effects". It is just enough to get you familiar with common functions in Red. The Red manual also has 10 tutorial exercises in the first chapter as well as has some learning material.

What program did you used to use (or are you familiar with)?

Return to posts index

Tim RiceRe: Dazed and Confused about Boris
by on Aug 4, 2006 at 5:08:07 pm

Stephen hit it right on the head. RED is the way to go for you. RED is Graffiti and Fx PLUS Corner Pin, Motion Tracking, a good particle system and an easy to use interface.
The great thing about RED (that for me puts it above After Effects and Combustion) is if your editor is using Liquid; you can do all of your effects and compositing in the RED Engine on a separate machine (provided you have access to the source material), save your .red file, import your .red file onto your editor's Liquid machine, relink your footage and render.
The only thing I would add to Stephen's post is please don't hesitate once you get RED to ask any questions you have on creative cow...

Return to posts index

MRamblerRe: Dazed and Confused about Boris
by on Aug 5, 2006 at 7:43:43 am

Thank you very much for the advice. It looks like Red would be a good match, but I still have more questions:

What is the difference between the

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved