BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED Chart Voodoo

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bluquillRED Chart Voodoo
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 2:22:48 am

I am working in a chart container creating some bar charts. I applyed a 3d extrusion to an "easy material" (glass) and have created transparent colored bars.
All of a sudden just by changing a parameter (backface culling, a position of a light, etc, etc) I loose all of the transparency and colors that I have applied to the material, and it defaults all the bars to a solid color and changes the material to plastic. But it keeps the 3d extrusion. In addition I had been using a face count of "1" to achieve the look I am after but it changed the face count to back to "4" and shifts the position of the bars to a position of it's own choosing.
I have used command (mac) Z to go back to the parameters that I set for it, but everytime I try and add a new parameter it changes everything again.
I saved it at the point of my parameters then closed the program and trashed the preferences but when I opened it back up again all of my applied parameters are gone and it is back to the above metioned characteristics.

Any Ideas as to what is going on here?

G5 dual 2.0 -
3.5g Ram -
160g internal hd -
250g internal hd -
Two 500g Lacie Big Disks via Firewire -
20in Apple cinema display

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: RED Chart Voodoo
by on Jul 24, 2006 at 10:48:16 am

You can not use back face culling with the glass material. Since glass is transparant it means that the back is always visible. Red uses back face culling to not render the back when it is not in part pointed toward the camera. Since the back is not pointed toward the camera then Red will not render the back, thus causing the problem that you are seeing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved