BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris Red Training

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Alexzander
Boris Red Training
on May 17, 2006 at 2:23:19 pm

Hello Gang,

I just placed an order for the Boris Red trainer hosted by Philip Hodgetts. I wanted to know if this forum felt there are other trainers out there of high quality, beit DVD-ROM based or book.

I have the CMP book titled: Instant Boris Effects.

Thank you,

Alex Alexzander

Return to posts index

Bluquill
Re: Boris Red Training
on May 17, 2006 at 11:49:53 pm

Alex,

There is a training DVD for AVID FX, which is essentially Boris RED, that I believe is pretty good.
Once you get inside the "FX" filter the interface is the same as RED.
I have only looked at it briefly but it looked like it was well done.

I am new at this as well and would like to go through it also.

Hope this helps you.

greg

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 18, 2006 at 1:15:13 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks, and I did place an order for that one on the DigiStore this morning as well. I am actually using the Avid FX from the Toolkit HD, so that worked nicely.

Are you also using it through the Toolkit for Xpress Pro / Media Composer?

-Alex

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
bluquill
on May 18, 2006 at 5:43:05 am

I'm actually using RED in Final Cut. A local VAR here recomended the Avid FX tutorial since, once you get inside of it, the program is the same as RED.

I would be interested to hear what you think of it because, as I said, I just briefly looked at it.

This program seems to be pretty deep as I get more into it. I would like to get better educated quickly and this tutorial seems to be something that can help that process along.
I hope!!!

greg

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 18, 2006 at 6:56:46 am

Well I might just write a review for Cow then. I am not sure when it will arrive, but it's only 2 hours long I think. Should be able to review it quite quickly.

-Alex

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on May 18, 2006 at 2:24:46 pm

Let me know how it goes with the DVDs and what is missing for you to get better.... I may be thinking about producing an advanced DVD training for Red 4 when it is launched. It would be great to know what you guys would like to learn.

Mark

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 18, 2006 at 2:39:58 pm

Hi Mark,

I

Return to posts index

cowcow
mark harvey
on May 18, 2006 at 3:46:34 pm

Thanks for the advice.

If I produce a DVD, it will be part of the CreativeCow master series. It will not be a basic DVD on this button does this, but rather an advanced training set showing things like displacement maps etc.

Mark

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 18, 2006 at 3:51:18 pm

There are a lot of ways to gain the basics, and almost no one ever does advanced topics. So I'd be very interested to watch it.

-Alex

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on May 18, 2006 at 3:56:49 pm

I would have the first chapter to explain basics, the rest to do real world projects.

Mark

Return to posts index

bluquill
on May 18, 2006 at 4:52:41 pm

Sign me up guys!
From what I have seen this is really needed for Boris products.
If there were more well done instruction on the fundementals of this program, and how to implement them in a sophisticated way,
I think it would really help to increase the user base of this program.

I know I need it.

Let us know when you get something done.

Thanks

greg

Return to posts index

bluquill
on May 19, 2006 at 6:02:07 pm

Here is a link to another training DVD for BORIS that I was directed to:

http://www.classondemand.net/ClassOnDemand/Public/product.aspx?Product.form...

I don't know anything about it, yet, but it is another option

What is "Boris-L?"

greg

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 19, 2006 at 6:16:38 pm

Well,

Return to posts index

bluquill
on May 19, 2006 at 7:37:20 pm

Sounds good to me.

~ g

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on May 20, 2006 at 4:53:12 pm

I'll be honest, I'd be against anything that takes away traffic from this site.

The owners of the Creative Cow have worked hard to be in a pretty good system. Sure, you don't always get an answer within 10 minutes, but most questions do get answered quite quickly. I have been with the Creative Cow since day one, and am not looking to leave anytime soon.

Maybe a good solution would be to have a chat system in place here at the COW. I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, maybe if the Lindebooms read this they can let us know, if not, then I will keep doing this as I always have.

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 20, 2006 at 5:37:08 pm

Hi Mark,

I am not implying anything about the quality of Creative Cow. Nor do I believe my thought would take traffic away from Cow. In my experience, the two types of communities have always held very different user-bases. You may have been with Cow since day one, but few people support the Cow as vigorously as I do. I don't write one page reviews for Cow. I write, and continue to write articles as large as multiple chapters for Cow. In this very thread, I am considering yet another article. So please, don't jump the gun on what I have suggested. I realize it looks odd in the forum, and does in fact come off the way you are supposing it does, but I assure you, it is not intended that way.

If you look at the context of the thread, you see why I wrote about a List. What people are saying about the Boris community is that there isn't much of it. The Boris forum on the BorisFX site for example leaves much to be desired. And unlike Final Cut Pro, there isn't a lot of competing forums on the various popular support sites. I won't mention all their names, but we both know whom I write about.

So when it was mentioned that not a lot of support is out there, and an upload area for users would be a good thing, that sounded like what the typical List provides for FCP and Avid. So the idea of List popped into my head. Not to take away from Cow at all. I wasn't even thinking in those terms. I was more reflecting on the various kinds of communities that exist for more popular applications, and the

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on May 20, 2006 at 7:56:29 pm

Alex,

I wasn't taking your last post personally, nor was I implying that you were not coming up with good ideas. I hope that you didn't take offence to my last post, none was supposed to be directed at you. I believe you when you say you are committed to the COW, but I can't see how an e-mail list would not take away traffic.

I like the idea, but maybe it could tie into the forum. Possibly it could be in a way that alerts people that there is a new post via e-mail. They then log into the forum and check it out.

There is definatly merit to the idea, but it MUST tie into this forum, otherwise for me, dicussion over :-)

The Boris forums are dead, so are the WWUG forums. I think that you will find that it will be cyclic. When Red 4 releases, there will be a lot more questions and the forum will pick up.

All the best

Mark

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on May 20, 2006 at 9:32:49 pm

Thanks Mark,

Alex

Return to posts index

MarkMc
on May 22, 2006 at 8:42:37 pm

I think one of the big things lacking for Red users are tutorials on how to do fabulous effects. There are tons of them for After Effects. Red is probably capable of doing some unbelievable things but you have to invent them yourself. One area in particular that seems to be hit and miss is animating lights and cameras in 3d space. Some tutorials that would show how to better control that would be welcome as would some simple things like rotoscoping,masking, using the pixel chooser,creating custom maps to control effects just to name a few. Most of the material (owners manual) available just shows what a control does but no indication of where and how you would use that in your daily workflow. I gotta think that this lack of knowledge-base really hurts the penetration of Red in the marketplace.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Alex Alexzander
on May 22, 2006 at 8:46:13 pm

I'd have to agree with you. I have seen many times, a video by some post guys showing off some effect they have made. I am always impressed with what I see others doing wtih RED. But it is as you say.

I just bought several lessons. If they have advanced effects like that, I'll let you know.

-Alex Alexzander

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on May 23, 2006 at 11:52:44 am

I have to be honest with you, compared to After Effects, the camera system in Boris Red is severely lacking. It is something that I would like to see worked on for future releases.

Mark

Return to posts index

MarkMc
on May 23, 2006 at 8:45:15 pm

Absolutely.Wouldn't be nice to have the option of a top view,side view ect so you can see where your cameras are? That is why I'm so dissappointed to not see that listed as one of Red 4's new features. I really like the interface of Red over AE but I'm using AE more and more and Red less. I'd even consider Blue in spite of the substantial cost to upgrade from Red if it had those features available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]