BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Is Magic Bullet compatible with Red 3?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
EditzIs Magic Bullet compatible with Red 3?
by on Apr 13, 2006 at 8:43:48 pm

Just curious.

Return to posts index

mark harveydeinterlace in BCC4
by on Apr 14, 2006 at 10:43:59 am

Unfotunately Red doesn't have a 3:2 pullodwn feature for output. What this means, is that even if you could get the plugin to work (not sure you could), you still couldn't create a good film look.

Magic Bullet excels at taking 29,97 interlaced content and creating 24p material. The render engine of the host must then introduce 3:2 pulldown to bring the footage back to 29,97 frames. This procedure mimicks the effect seen on film. Magic Bullet does a really good job of de-interlacing and removing artifacts from footage and creating the film-look.

Now, all that said. Continuum 4 has a filter that is called deinterlace. This filter will deinterlace footage and let you turn it into 24p and simulate 3:2 pulldown. I have tried it and was quite impressed with the results. Also the render was extremely fast. It doesn't have the look-suite that Magic Bullet has, but an experienced compositor, such as yourself, can mimick these looks quite easily with the tools in Red and BCC4. BCC4 has a lot of really cool filters, and if 24p is something that you would like to do in Red, then the BCC filters may be something you want to look at. The rest of the filters are also extremely cool. Some of the light filters are awesome.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
EditzRe: deinterlace in BCC4
by on Apr 14, 2006 at 3:40:45 pm

Has the deinterlace filter changed significantly from BCC 3 which I already have?

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: deinterlace in BCC4
by on Apr 14, 2006 at 3:50:41 pm

I don't have BCC3 :-) From what I saw from BCC4, it was quite a nice film motion effect. Have you tried it in BCC3 ??? Does it have the simulated 3:2 pulldown ???

Mark

Return to posts index

cowcow
EditzRe: deinterlace in BCC4
by on Apr 14, 2006 at 6:16:05 pm

BCC 3 does have simulate pulldown within Deinterlace but I'm not that impressesd with the default setting. Applying it to a clip with a jib move makes it look too "jittery" as if I'd just used an Avid strobe effect.

Usually to "richen up" video I use a Red plugin with Gaussian Blur set to 1 or 2 with a Soft Light apply mode knocked down to about 40%. It's still looks "smooth" like video but is a little richer looking than un-corrected stuff right out of the camera.

If anyone has some good BCC 3 user settings for this filter I'd be curious to get them and see what's what.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]