BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

How to track a title to a background feature?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brianwb50
How to track a title to a background feature?
on Apr 7, 2006 at 7:12:16 pm

I've read the manual and understand how to track a feature, but how do you then apply it to layer or title's position?

I'm using BCC 3 on an AVID Adrenaline.

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
Re: How to track a title to a background feature?
on Apr 8, 2006 at 10:35:57 pm

It is all in the way you place items in the timeline. Read the manual again and you will get it....guaranteed (I don't have the manual in front of me to walk you through it)

Mark

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 10, 2006 at 5:44:45 pm

Hello,

Once you have completed tracking, the filter that you used to track the object will contain all of the X Y transform data and can control the X Y position of any clip in the timeline by dragging this filter onto the clip in question. So the workflow is:

Return to posts index

MarkMc
on Apr 13, 2006 at 7:17:42 pm

Perhaps this is something that the new version will improve upon the workflow. It seems that it is way more complicated than it needs to be. In AE Pro 7.0 you just apply either a tracking animation or track stabilization to a track/layer-in the settings window you choose which layer the tracking infomation is applied to and what coordinates it's applies to. Here is a spot I did using tracking tools in AE http://home.stny.rr.com/mcluvlyland/loganRevised.wmv
I would have done this in Red but it was so easy to do in AE and the results were satisfactory that I didn't. Normally I used Red for this type of thing but using the tools in AE for the first time WITHOUT reading a manual I got the results I needed pretty quickly
As a side note what do any of you Red owners think about the upgrade price to Blue?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
brianwb50
on Apr 13, 2006 at 11:45:53 pm

Thank you so much, to everyone, for your help. However I'm wondering if your description is for Red, and not BCC.

Basically, I've got a lot of tracking shots to deal with and was hoping to stay in the Avid editing environment rather than export each to AfterEffects which, as Mark noted, gives excellent results.

To do that I have Continuem Complete AVX which offers several filters (witness protection, for one) that have a tracking component, but i"m unclear as to how to save the track and apply it to a different layer in the Avid timeline.

I've gone back to the manual, the effects guide, but it doesn't address saving or creating new position keyframes based on what has been tracked.

If anyone uses the BCC filters to track in AVID please give me a clue. Otherwise, it"s a lot of import/export.

Again thanks for the help; I've been starting to use RED for some composites.

Brian

Return to posts index

MarkMc
on Apr 14, 2006 at 2:07:45 am

In the control window for the tracker filter is there an advanced tab? That's where you'd choose what parameter the tracking data is applied to. The complaint I have about the Boris method for doing this is the convoluted nesting of clips into filters and such. I think you will save time by doing it in AE. I just went into Red to try to recreate what I did in AE and tracking the clip and it applied to another clip -no problem BUT when I added a mask to clip that tracking data was applied to the mask did not move with the clip- must be it needs to all be put in a container/3d layer. Also I had to put a duplicate clip at the bottom of the stack because the track that is being tracked is nested in a tracker filter layer that is nested in the layer that has the data applied to it thereby making it invisible. Sound confusing? It is. Do it in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]