BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC blacking out clips & crashing FCS 5.1

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Goodwin
BCC blacking out clips & crashing FCS 5.1
on Apr 7, 2006 at 5:16:30 pm

After upgrading to FCP 5.1I seem to be having a lot of trouble with the BCC 4.1 plugins.

When I apply a filter to a clip the clip goes black and nothing will bring it back until I remove the filter.Some filters actually seem to work while others do not.

Also, when applying filters to clips FCP will crash more often than not.

I am using FCP UB v5.1 on a PPC 2.0 GHz dual core G5.

After reading a previous post where it was stated that there would be an announcement regarding BCC 4 compatibility with FCS 5.1 am I to assume that FCS 5.1 is currently incompatible with BCC 4.1 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Peter McAuley
Re: BCC blacking out clips & crashing FCS 5.1
on Apr 7, 2006 at 7:34:13 pm

Hello,

We'll try to reproduce the issue in-house to see if we can discover what this issue is. I'll reply again to the list once we have reached that stage - also, please feel free to email me directly at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Apr 10, 2006 at 1:43:02 pm

Add Boris Red 3.0.3 to try, I'm getting the same result. Using a G5 Quad and Universal FCP 5.1. Need this fixed asap, I'm editing now. client is not too happy.

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 10, 2006 at 2:11:50 pm

Hi Tim,

FCP 5.1 was not certified as working with BCC 4, or any other version of our products, which is the reason why you are experiencing a compatibility issue. We were unaware of a problem until we heard from you on Friday and to be quite honest it will take weeks for us to arrive at a solution, test, and release a patch to solve this issue. I'm sorry to hear that you are having these troubles but you are using a non-supported configuration. All that I can suggest is going back a step in the FCP software if that is a possibility, or rendering this project on a different machine which has the previous version of FCP installed. We are working on a solution for the Universal FCP release but as I mentioned above, it's going to take us a while to make this work.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Tim Langston
on Apr 10, 2006 at 5:22:25 pm

It's ashame that Apple required us to send back our disks to get the update. Now there's no turning back.

Tim

Tim Langston
Fort Wayne, IN

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 10, 2006 at 5:34:21 pm

Ugh! I wish I had a magic wand and could make BCC 4 work with the FCP 5.1 without the problems that you reported but alas ... I have not. :( We are currently working on this though and BCC will be the first product that we release from development which will support Macintosh Universal.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Apr 10, 2006 at 5:39:29 pm

Make Red Second, that's what I'm using. Seems there are two Tim's with this problem.

Maybe you can barrow a few people from Apple since they took our disks.

Thanks,
Tim Langston

Tim Langston
Fort Wayne, IN

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 10, 2006 at 5:56:03 pm

And we just heard from another user (Jonathan) who had a problem moving a project with BCC filters from Motion into FCP 5.1 - seems as though they are experiencing the same black media and crashing that you are seeing.

Red will indeed be next and is currently in Beta with many major improvements. That's all I can say about it as it's a work in progress but suffice it to say that I think everyone will be really happy with Red 4. :)

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 10, 2006 at 6:08:12 pm

It is very reassuring to know that you are aware of the problem & are working on a solution. I couldn't ask for more.

About the Motion to FCS 5.1 issue, I can apply more BCC filters to Motion clips than I can FCS clips but there are still some BCC filters that black out the clips in Motion too.

Again, thanks for the quick response and all the effort.

Tim

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:22:51 pm

I just contacted Apple to see if I could get my FCP Studio 5 disks back so I could use Boris Red. They kindly told me "no".

My clients and I are so hooked on Boris, we don't dare do a spot without using it. Can't wait till you get it working with FCP Universal. It's going to be painful but I'll muddle thru.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Fort Wayne, IN

Return to posts index

theboris
on Apr 14, 2006 at 12:18:53 pm

Hi Folks,

Yesterday we found the cause for black frames in FCP 5.1 and we have a solution for it. We will be performing more testing across our product line with this new version of FCP to ensure full compatibility. We plan to post a free patch on our web site as soon as we are done. (Hopefuly very soon)

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 14, 2006 at 3:09:59 pm

Okay ... we believe that we have discovered the source of the problem and we will work on a patch for BCC, RED, Graffiti and FX. I'll keep you posted as we make progress but I expect it'll take a few weeks at least given the other high priority items that we have in the works.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 14, 2006 at 4:10:35 pm

Actually we may have something available that will fix this issue sooner rather than later ... stay tuned for more info.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tim Langston
on Apr 17, 2006 at 12:21:23 pm

Beautiful! You gave me a Great start to my Monday!

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Langston
Fort Wayne, IN

Return to posts index

theboris
on Apr 20, 2006 at 8:58:39 pm

Hi BCC Fans,

I'm happy to inform you that today we posted a patch on our web site that works around the problems introduced in the latest FCP version 5.1. Big thanks to our internal FCP interface experts!!!! It was tough to make it happen in the last week before NAB but I felt the pressure from this thread :-)

To download the patch proceed to:

http://www.borisfx.com/register/download/#bcc

Please note that this patch IS NOT recommended for FCP versions 5.0 and below and read the release notes carefully. Also be assured that patches for all other FCP plugin product that we have, namely RED, Graffiti and FX will be patched soon. A separate announcement will be posted here.

Enjoy,

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 21, 2006 at 5:57:10 pm

Thank you very much for an incredibly fast fix to these problems. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated.

I've installed the update and thus far everything seems to be working beautifully.

Tim Goodwin

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Apr 23, 2006 at 3:07:41 pm

Peter,

I installed the BCC 4.01 patch this morning, and now, none of the adjustment paramters show up in the Filters tab of the Viewer after I add a BCC4 filter to a clip.

Quadcore G5
FCP 5.1
Mac OS X v10.4.6
5GB RAM

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Apr 23, 2006 at 5:43:30 pm

I've tried trashing all of the folders and files related to BCC4, other than those related to Red 3GL (which is also installed) or Calligraphy, then a reinstall of the BCC 4.01 patch.

No difference. When I apply a BCC4 filter to an FCP 5.1 sequence, the default settings for the filter are applied, but none of the adjustment categories, items, or parameters are available in the Viewer's Filters tab. They just are not there.

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on Apr 24, 2006 at 3:59:04 pm

Have you read the Known Limitations in the release notes ?

I believe this behavior is due to having the Filters tab open when applying a BCC filter in FCS 5.1

Tim

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on Apr 24, 2006 at 4:03:57 pm

Yup, I read them, and followed the instructions step-by-step. The Filters tab is not open, and the problem persists no matter how I add a filter to a clip. I've restarted, I've Shut Down and booted again. I've re-installed.

I'm very close to trashing everything related to BorisFX and starting all over again. I have BCC4, Red 3GL and FEC installed.

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on May 1, 2006 at 4:12:20 pm

Hello Brian

I've got the exact same problem now after upgrading from OSX 10.4.5 to 10.4.6. Everything was working beautifully under OSX 10.4.5.

Did you ever resolve this ?

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on May 1, 2006 at 4:19:07 pm

Not yet. My BorisFX rep has promised to let me know as soon as they resolve it.

I'll pass on to her this new info. Apparently, there's something in v10.4.6 that's contributing to the problem.

Thanks, Tim.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Tim Goodwin
on May 1, 2006 at 7:24:34 pm

Thanks Brian. Hopefully a solution will be found shortly.

FWIW, the plugins seem to work fine in Motion 2.1.1 which was upgraded to resolve a compatibility problem with OSX v10.4.6.

Thanks again
Tim

Return to posts index

Brian Conner
on May 1, 2006 at 7:33:26 pm

They've given me the solution, and it works on my system.

1) Trash your FCP preferences (FCP Rescue 5 makes it more simple to do this). The important file to trash is the Obj Cache file, but the files work together, so trash all of them

2) Enable Caps Lock and start Final Cut

3) Immediately Quit FCP

4) Disable Caps Lock and start Final Cut again

Try adding a BCC4 filter. It it works, then set your FCP prefs again, and yuou should be Good To Go.

HTH.

Return to posts index

Tim Goodwin
on May 1, 2006 at 11:35:50 pm

Hello Brian

Thank you so very much!! That did it.

Thanks again
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved