BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Transformation modes in Boris FX?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tristan004Transformation modes in Boris FX?
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 6:46:14 pm

Hey all. I'm new to the forum here and have a BFX question: I'm trying to do an effect which Trish & Chris Meyer (the AE Motion GFX gurus) call "Instant Sex." It involveas setting up two layers of the same clip. You apply a gaussian blur to the lower layer, and then a transfer mode to the upper layer (just as in the same transfer modes that are available in photoshop). Is there a way to apply a transfer mode in Boris? (i.e. - layer modes like Normal, Dissolve, Overlay, Multiply, Screen and so-on).

Tim Walton

Return to posts index

Tim RiceRe: Transformation modes in Boris FX?
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 8:47:52 pm

Boris calls them apply modes and they are under the composite tab.
You might want to try pixel chooser for this, though... Very powerful feature in Boris that seems to be little used...
Apply your blur and go to the pixel chooser tab. Click the little clock wipe tab and they try the different settings under make mask from...
You can also adjust the amount of blur...

Return to posts index

tristan004Re: Transformation modes in Boris FX?
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 10:23:43 pm

Thanks, Tim.

I'll give it a try

Return to posts index

Mark HarveyRe: Transformation modes in Boris FX?
by on Apr 5, 2006 at 1:05:29 am

Instant sex is cool, but if you want to make it even cooler, apply the tritone filter along with the gaussian blur filter to the top layer. Then set the composite mode of the top layer to something like soft light or add. Add may be a little bright, but you can always adjust the opacity of the top layer.

I love applying tritone along with a composite mode. Most people just apply tritone, so you get even colour across the board. With above mentionned method, you get colours applying to only the luminance. You can do this with pixel-chooser, but trust me, this is way cooler. Want that 70's look ??? Try making the midtone colour a magenta shade. Want warmer tones, go towards orange, cooler tones, then go to the blues.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved