BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Which Boris is right for me (and FX template question)

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JFrankWhich Boris is right for me (and FX template question)
by on Feb 27, 2006 at 8:46:47 pm

I'm a Final Cut Studio user looking to update and upgrade my 'palette.' My primary 'purpose' in life right now is creating press reels and DVDs for promotional purposes, and DVD archives for theatrical events. So basically create a lot of intros/menus in Motion, do transitions for a theatrical TV show...things of that nature.

I'm looking into the Boris line, and thinking that Continuum is definitely something I need and could use in a variety of ways, but I'm also looking at BorisFX. I've downloaded the trials, and am having no problems figuring out how useful Continuum is going to be (and what the learning curve is going to be), but I have to admit BorisFX has me more than a little flumoxed. First of all, I keep seeing a template screen option when seeing demos on the Boris website, but I can't figure out how to toggle when using BorisFX in FCP or as a standalone.

Also wondering if the filters/effects/generators etc. are best applied using the standalone program, then importing the tweaked clip into FCP, or is it just as good to apply them while in FCP.

I know these are basic, silly questions...so don't shoot me! (and feel free to say 'you should really buy this Boris product instead')

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark HarveyRe: Which Boris is right for me (and FX template question)
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 3:23:17 pm

Continuum is basically just the filters. Graffiti is a titler with animation possiblities. FX is a compositor. Boris Red is all of them wrapped into one. If you are looking to do menus with motion, text, compositing etc, then I would look towards Red.
To get the templates, you need to open the library browser (Window-library browser)

Good luck.
HTH
Mark

Return to posts index

JFrankRe: Which Boris is right for me (and FX template question)
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:50:38 pm

Thanks for the insight....although now I'm in a quandary as I just ordered FX and Continuum Complete and it sounds like Red is basically the two of them combined (plus other features) and since I can get the academic version, the price is equivalent. I looked at the BorisFX website (and tried to call...) and I'm not sure if Red contains all the transitions and filters as Continuum (like, for instance, the 'shattered glass' one...didn't see it listed anywhere).

And thanks for the info on the Library Browser! Even knowing what I was looking for it took a while to find, but I did...can't wait to play.

Return to posts index

Mark HarveyRe: Which Boris is right for me (and FX template question)
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:58:22 pm

There may be a few filters inside of continuum that are not in Red. But shattered glass is called 3d image shatter inside of Red. Red will plug into FCP, but will open a new interface inside of FCP. Continuum will act as a filter letting you apply it's values to a clip from within the FCP interface.
Pretty much all things Continuum end up in Red. Continuum 4 was just released, Red 3GL is a few years old. It is normal that some features will not be there...that said, if you jump into Red you will be able to take advantage of ugrade pricing later down the road.

HTH

Mark

Return to posts index

JFrankRe: Which Boris is right for me (and FX template question)
by on Mar 14, 2006 at 2:05:34 am

Unfortunately, found out after the fact that Red doesn't work with Motion, which is mainly what I needed it for, so looks like I'll have to get Continuum after all as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]