BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Setup for a 3x3 grid with 2 sides?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Editz
Setup for a 3x3 grid with 2 sides?
on Feb 16, 2006 at 1:29:17 am

I've got a 2 input Red plug on Avid where V1 is a 3x3 grid of video boxes. V2 is a full screen piece of video. I need to make each piece of the grid turn independently and reveal V2 on the backside of each piece so that when all 9 boxes have rotated they show V2 as a single full screen image.

I thought placing both tracks in a Precomp folder, cropping the folder to the size of each box position in the grid and then adjusting the pivot would take care of it, but the ending position of V2 on the backside is all screwed up. Does anyone have a simple way to achieve this effect?

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
Re: Setup for a 3x3 grid with 2 sides?
on Feb 16, 2006 at 4:09:36 pm

Could you not used cubes and close all but 2 faces of the cubes ??? You could create the 9 cubes necessary by creating one and duplicating, then simply animating a spin on the cubes....this way your back face would not be distorted....

Mark

Return to posts index

Editz
on Feb 16, 2006 at 5:39:55 pm

I think I see what you're saying, but given the fact that a cube is a 3D object, the front and back sides don't sit in the same Z space, won't rotating the cube produce a kind of funky effect? I'm looking for a 2-sided plane that I can simply turn on the y-axis. I'll give your suggestion a shot when I get time today. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
on Feb 16, 2006 at 7:02:21 pm

I think that I am having a hard time understanding your project.....I'm sure that it must be something pretty cool (I really like you basketball stuff on the Boris site).

If you make 9 cubes, select multiple faces, then turn all off except front and back. Map the right media. Align all cubes to make the grid (There will have to be some fine adjustements made to spin and tumble due to perspective).
Now, drop all of these tracks into a 3d container and set the containers renderer to 3d model...this will enable you to rotate,spin or tumble all of the layers together whilst retaining their 3d properties (An offset often helps to sell the effect)..

Am I understanding what you are trying to acheive ?? Sorry if not :-)

Again, congrats on your work...I would like to see your mughsot up at the top of this page, as I think that a lot of people could learn a lot from you.

Mark

Return to posts index

Editz
on Feb 16, 2006 at 8:32:27 pm

Mark,

Not quite. The "front" of the effect is a single shot (it's a freeze of 9 tracks from the Avid timeline) of 9 pictures already shrunk down to form a 3x3 grid. The "back" is a single full screen picture. What I need to see is *each* picture on the front rotate 180 degrees on the y-axis and have staggered start times. Not the entire screen turning, but each picture as if the center point of rotation were at the center of *each* picture in the grid. As they disappear at the 90 degree point, what comes around is the back picture, but not shrunk down -- each piece of the 3x3 grid would turn to reveal the picture as a full scren image, not 9 shrunken versions of the same thing.

Think of those stadium cards that people flip to form gigantic images -- I think there was a Kodak Superbowl ad from a few years ago that did this using something like After Effects. I was hoping there was an easy way to achieve it.

I'm fiddling around with the cube technique now and I'm not getting quite what I want. The front and back faces of the cube are far apart (because it's a cube) but I think I can adjust the Scale Z to get it to work better. I've also had to had a mask on both the front and back faces of the cube to get things to line up properly. I think I'll now be able to get something closer, but I didn't figure the setup would be so involved.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish I had more time to mess around with Red, but time and budgets always seem to be conspiring against me these days.

Steve

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:58:43 pm

Ok..I get it......honestly, I would do this with After Effects, simply because they have filter that is exactly designed for this.

I know that we can do this in Boris Red, but we will have to figure out how. By the way, in After Effects the filter is called Card Dance.

I;ll get back to you on this one shortly...will do some testing.

Mark

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 17, 2006 at 12:09:14 am

Ok, so here is what I would do....

Track one... on the face of the track you will put the the top left image of from Avid.

Track two, you will create a flat 3d plane.

Track three...You will then create a new flat 3d plane and apply the back image to this.

Now, you will take track one and track two and drop them into a 3d container and set the renderer to z-space. Now click back on track two and set the z-position (Constant) to 1. Now, click back on the container and spin the container around.

Drag track three onto track two to nest it...you will want to nest it upstream from the tranformations.

Scale the container so that it fits (One ninth) And now adjust the scale properties of track three to reveal just what you need.

Duplicate this container, move it a little to the right and change the image on track one, and move the image on track three.

REpeat this a bunch of times and you should now be able to get exactly what you want.

Hope this helps

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]