BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

How to use Red to do a frame rate conversion

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dustinHow to use Red to do a frame rate conversion
by on Jan 30, 2006 at 9:11:31 pm

I'm trying to convert some 30i footage to 24p for use in a 23.96p Avid project. The problem is, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this. I need the audio to still be able to sync up with the picture. I have tried exporting some 30i footage from a 30i Avid timeline as a Quick Time reference file and importing it into the Red Engine in a 23.98 project and applying Optical Flow, but all I get is the picture of the soccer ball.

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: How to use Red to do a frame rate conversion
by on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:15:00 pm

I'm not sure that you can use Red for frame rate conversions. That said, if you are seeing the soccer ball I would suspect that possibly the filter is applied incorrectly. You probably applied the filter to the clip, yes ??? With optical flow, you have to apply the filter to the timeline, not the clip, then inside the filter itslef apply the clip (twirl down and you will see V1 inside optical flow on the source layer track of the filter, change this to your source footage)
You should now see your footage. I'm not sure how your audio will fare through this, as Red doesn't offer 3:2 pulldown capability either in the input, or the output. Trust me, I have asked for this in the past...... I have also asked, and will continue to ask for timeline frame rates, not project can create some pretty nice film-like motion when you have the ability to mix frame rates, something I now turn to After Effects to complete.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved