BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Red Transitions in FCP and compression issues

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee BurrowsBoris Red Transitions in FCP and compression issues
by on Dec 5, 2005 at 6:08:03 pm

Hi. Does anyone know why a Boris Red Transition has a higher video level than the following video clip it is transitioning too? An example-When using a wipe from one soundbite to another the video during the transition appears hotter than the video level at the previous clip was. It looks to be at 110 or higher. So when the transition ends, the incoming clip's video level is normal at 100 and it makes the end of the transition look like a half white flash. It is very distracting & ugly!!

My other question is why does a Final Cut Pro transition work after compressing it to an mpeg2 BUT any kind of Boris Red transition put into an FCP project that is compressed comes out as a freeze frame for the transition after being compressed? Even something as simple as brightening video until it blows out to create a white flash transitoin will not translate to the compression. None of the Boris Red transitions work after compression coming from an FCP sequence.

Any help or suggestions to these 2 problems would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.0 GHz
FCP 4.5 HD
XServe Raid 1 Terabyte

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.3 GHz
FCP 5.02 Studio
G-Tech G Raid 500 GBs
2 - Lacie Drives 200 GBs

Return to posts index

Anne RenehanRe: Boris Red Transitions in FCP and compression issues
by on Dec 6, 2005 at 2:57:59 pm

I'm not sure why the compression doesn't work, you may want to email Boris support. But the transition levels is probably one of two issues. First, in the Local Project tab of Red's Preferences window is a checkbox for Generate Safe Levels. If this is deselected, Red will allow values across the full 0-255 range. When it is deselected, values are limited to the safe range of 16-235. I'm not sure if FCP limits you to 16-235, but if it does and this preference is deselected then you would see a difference in levels.

Second, Final Cut Pro doesn't support YUV color space for plug-ins. So Red transitions render in RGB. This can cause color shifts when you create transitions in YUV projects. To fix this, you may want to select the Always Render in RGB checkbox in the FCPs Sequence Settings window.
Anne

Return to posts index

Tim LangstonRe: Boris Red Transitions in FCP and compression issues
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 1:06:42 pm

Red Transitions have not worked for a long time, that is when using compressor. I've been told to make a QuickTime Reference file, then import that into Compressor. Works like a charm...just yet another added step we have to take.

Tim

Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions
Fort Wayne, IN
http://www.colproductions.com

Return to posts index

Lee BurrowsRe: Boris Red Transitions in FCP and compression issues
by on Dec 19, 2005 at 8:04:50 pm

Tim & Anne,

Thank you so much for yourt input and advice! I have a project we just started that I will be able to test your responses on. I appreciate and post my result but I feel confident that it will work with that added step. It makes sense.

Happy Holidays

Lee

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.0 GHz
FCP 4.5 HD
XServe Raid 1 Terabyte

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.3 GHz
FCP 5.02 Studio
G-Tech G Raid 500 GBs
2 - Lacie Drives 200 GBs

Return to posts index