BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Extruding 3D eps files in RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt LarsonExtruding 3D eps files in RED
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 5:33:10 pm

I've got an eps file of a logo and I can get RED to create the 3D shape, but I can't seem to get the colors from the eps file to map on as a texture on the 3D extrusion. Am I missing something?

THanks-

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: Extruding 3D eps files in RED
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 6:32:53 pm

You need to activate the mapping in the texture tab of the controls window for the 3d track. Then....you know what, I'll go one better, follow these steps and it will work, let's start at the beginning, a mini tutorial if you will.

1. bring in EPS file selecting EPS in the track and browsing to file
2. If you need to edit the eps files outline (Something that can be quite fun), then change the track type to spline object.....now you have editable spline points
3. Select the 3d extrusion option.
4. In the controls window, go to textures and click in the checkbox for each face that you want to apply the texture. By default you should see the soccer ball in all it's glory.
5. Twirl down the EPS file track in the timeline...you should now see a texture track for each texture you activated
6. Now the mistake most people make is to simply change the soccer ball to the EPS by browsing....Better way. create a new EPS track, then browse to your EPS file and drag that new track onto the texture track. Why you ask, glad you asked....because you now have a FULL track on the texture, meaning that you have full controls for that track including scale, transparency, and yes you can add filters to that texture track.....you can't do that if you go the other route.
7. Now simply adjust the scale values for the nested EPS file (The one that you just dropped onto the texture track) until it fits perfectly onto the 3d element.

Voil

Return to posts index

Matt LarsonRe: Extruding 3D eps files in RED
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 7:05:39 pm

WOW, that's awesome! Thanks for the step by step. I followed all your steps and it still didn't work....so I checked my eps file and it was saved in version 10 so I changed it to version 8 and you were right: Voil

Return to posts index

by on Oct 26, 2005 at 11:13:32 pm

Excellent !!! Glad to hear it worked....looks cool when it works doesn't it. Next step, start playing with reflections...ENJOY !!!

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark DonovanRe: Extruding 3D eps files in RED
by on Nov 2, 2005 at 11:07:34 pm

Mark,

I don't have Red but am working with Graffiti ver. 2.1

I cannot import eps files into Graffit but I can import a psd file which I'd like to extrude and make it appear 3D. The manual barely scratches the surface on this.

Do you know of a tutorial or can you offer a brief explanation? This is a simple logo that I should be able to convert into a 3D image.

If you could direct me to a tutorial, I'd sure appreciate!

regards,
Mark D.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2005 at 6:29:40 pm

Just click on Tim Rice's pic on the top...he wrote a tutorial on this very subject.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]