BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Using Alpha Channel on one track to create a Map Layer for a fire effect: tips?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Savoy Truffle
Using Alpha Channel on one track to create a Map Layer for a fire effect: tips?
on Oct 10, 2005 at 7:53:11 pm

Hi

Brand new to Boris 8, and already pulling off nice FX, albeit slowly. For reasons too ridiculous to go into (but all entirely legal, I promise) I can't get my Boris FX 8 help function to work.

I'm trying to get a guy to go on fire just around the edges (and maybe on some aspects of his clothes), but I'm getting nowhere. Controlling the look of the fire is straight forward but that's all I know. The trick, I believe, is to use the alpha channel on one track to create a map layer for the fire effect.

Would anyone know how to do that, and have a go at talking me through it? With no tutorial to refer to, I'm clicking all over the place with no result.

I'm a "creative" not a tech head, so I apologise if this is easy. I'm on Xpress DV, too.

Thanks

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Using Alpha Channel on one track to create a Map Layer for a fire effect: tips?
on Oct 22, 2005 at 5:40:31 am

Is the guy in the shot in motion? If so then you'll have to create a rotoscope mask and then use your fire effect in conjunction with the mask. We once had a guy sitting in an electric chair and once the switch was flipped he caught on fire for a split second. This was relatively easy because he was bound to the chair, but a moving object will take some extra effort to mask it correctly.

As far as your help is concerned, you should reinstall from the CDrom.

Return to posts index

Savoy Truffle
Re: Using Alpha Channel on one track to create a Map Layer for a fire effect: tips?
on Oct 22, 2005 at 3:52:45 pm

Thanks. FX 8 won't do Rotoscope I'm afraid! Will re-install for the tutorials, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]