BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Explain Update???

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at UCSB
Explain Update???
on Oct 7, 2005 at 5:41:03 pm

Hi All,
I don't hang out in this forum that much...I need to get better about that. But I couldn't find it in the archives.
What's the deal with the update for the Text Window? We've had Red 3.0 for a couple months, but have had a chance to ask. But in Red 2.5 you could click the 'auto update' (I think that's what it was called) button in the text window, so as you type or made correction it would update to the monitor/composition window. Now with Red 3.0 you don't have that feature.
Huh?
That doesn't make any sense???? Why would I NOT want that option???
We have Red 3.0 for FCP and Media HD and it's the same on both. I think on FCP it's worst because it won't even update to the composition window unless you tell it you.
Please tell me that there is a way to set it so I don't have to click in the comp. window or button....

Thanks,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Anne Renehan
Re: Explain Update???
on Oct 7, 2005 at 6:16:14 pm

You still have this capability, it just works a little differently. We removed the Auto Update button in version 3.0 as it was causing some speed issues. We added the Text tool so that if you need your text to auto update, you can type directly on the video in the Composite window instead of using the Text window. The Text tool appears in the Tool window or you can use the keyboard shortcut "T."

I hope that helps.
Anne

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Oct 7, 2005 at 6:55:27 pm

Thanks for your response Anne.
That does help.
BUT when trying to moditfy font size and font type it is NOT reflected in the comp window. Only in the text window, then you STILL have to click update for it to load into the comp window.

Since Boris is our primary text editor we need it to be as fliud as possible. Making font changes and size change is a BASIC function and usually one of the first things that an editor will do when using Boris. Clicking 'update' everything one makes a font change or size chenge is one step TOO many.

Is this something that will be addressed??

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Anne Renehan
on Oct 7, 2005 at 7:39:40 pm

The Text tool always auto updates. When working with the Text tool, you can change font and type size using the Font and Size menus in the Transform tab. Changes will automatically update. So you would select the Text tool, type in the Composite window, drag to select the characters you want to modify and change your font or size in the Transform tab. Or if you prefer, you can use the Style Palette to apply changes; this also auto updates. The Text tool includes all the formatting options as the Text window. You access these options in the Transform, Fill, Border and Shadow tabs in the Controls window. The only thing that you can't do with the Text tool is import Text files.

We do not have any plans to add an Auto Update button back to the Text window as the Text tool replaced this feature; the Auto Update button caused speed issues on several host platforms.
Sorry,
Anne

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Oct 7, 2005 at 8:03:53 pm

Ah!!
Got it.
Funny, it works perfectly when the text window is closed. But when I had the text window open, it ran some of the updates through that window.

Much better.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. It's a HUGE time saver!!

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]