BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Animated Charles Schwabb Ad

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin LankfordAnimated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 5, 2005 at 7:45:49 am

Can the animation seen in the new Charles Schwabb ad be done in Red or Blue? Is it the cartoon effect? I am a newbie and am interested in getting into video. I purchased Vegas 6 + DVD last summer and am wanting to purchase Red or Blue by Christmas. I have found precious little on Blue, however, and am concerned about the availability of training materials for it.

Return to posts index

Anne RenehanRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 5, 2005 at 6:02:09 pm

I haven't seen this ad, so I'm not sure what effect you're asking about. But as for training materials, for Red, we have classes via our Authorized Training Program. You can get information at

We also offer a training DVD for sale on our website; other DVDs and books are available from third parties. In addition, we regularly post tutorials on our website. Blue is not yet shipping, which is why there aren't yet any training materials.

Return to posts index

backlitRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 6, 2005 at 9:11:13 pm

I too haven't seen the Schwabb add, but I have had experience with using the FX-8 and Grafiti-4 plugins to Vegas. I find the integration between Vegas and these two programs lacking. Rather than list the problems here I would urge you to try the demo version of Red before you buy. You may also want to search the Vegas forums to find additional comments and opinions.

Return to posts index

stephenlnoeRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 7, 2005 at 5:20:09 am

I saw the add and I know what you're talking about. Many ads are going with animation built off of live video or just plain animtion. I personally like it. You are right that it looks like the cartooner plugin with Photoshop or Corel Draw. I looked at some of the BCC filters and standard Red filters and all I can say is you'll have to experiment. I'd love to have KPT filters available in Red.

Return to posts index

AdvresRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 7, 2005 at 2:52:22 pm

The ad looks very much like the technique they used in "Waking Life".

I don't know if it is some sort of effected video or animation built off of pre-shot footage. All I know is it looks awfully cool when done correctly.

To answer your question, I have seen no plugins or easy way of attaining this effect in Red ro Blue.

Return to posts index

Tim RiceRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Oct 14, 2005 at 2:06:03 pm

Waking Life was painted and animated by hand frame by frame...
Those Schwab ads, as I remember, used some proprietary software written by the guy who animated Waking Life (not Linklater but someone else).
You might be able to get close with cartooner and maybe some other filters...

Return to posts index

Arlen BellRe: Animated Charles Schwabb Ad
by on Nov 22, 2005 at 3:52:13 am

Any more thoughts on this? I presume just about everyone has seen the Schwab ads by now. (A cartoon effect was also used at the ad breaks in the 11/21 episode of "Las Vegas" though those were stills and appear to be drawn as the transition seems to show a slight mis-registeration.)
Michael Cohen at Microsoft Research showed work they'd done on this at Siggraph 2004 and there's a paper they wrote on this -- extremely technical and of little use to us regular video guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved