BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Very quick Boris Red speed ramp question

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mus man
Very quick Boris Red speed ramp question
on Sep 19, 2005 at 3:08:18 am

I'm using Red as a filter inside FCP to speed up some clips. The footage is 10 bit uncompressed digibeta material on a 23.98p timeline (it's film orginated and has had its pulldown removed).
I know Red only renders in 8 bit with regards to color correction, etc. But if I use it as I explained, will my material be downgraded to 8 bit, or will it still be rendered as 10 bit?
Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Very quick Boris Red speed ramp question
on Sep 19, 2005 at 5:00:45 am

This is a very good question. Red's stand alone engine will render 8 bit but when you're inside of another program and using Red as a plugin, Red uses the render engine inside of the host app. At least it does in Liquid. I don't know the answer but do your colors shift once rendered in tone when rendered?

Return to posts index

mus man
on Sep 20, 2005 at 1:00:40 pm

Thanks for that. I didn't know Red uses the render engine inside of the host app. I'm not sure what that means for workflows. I actually have not noticed any color shift using Red as a FCP filter. A friend did some work in Combustion ad gave it to me back at 23.98 Uncompressed 4:2:2. That file was significantly darker than the original, but I didn't notice that kind of change when I used Combustion on another clip.
So, can any educate us a little bit about how Boris works in other aps?

Return to posts index

christopher wright
on Sep 21, 2005 at 7:05:17 am

Red within FCP is only 8 bit. If you use the Boris continuum filters in After Effects and Combustion, most, but not all, filters will be rendered in 16 bit. (After Effects actually gives you a warning when the Boris filter can't be rendered in 16 bit).

Return to posts index

mus man
on Sep 27, 2005 at 11:37:15 pm

Very cool! Thank you for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]