BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Creating Rolling Credits with an Alignment similar to Hollywood movies

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CosmicX
Creating Rolling Credits with an Alignment similar to Hollywood movies
on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:59:57 pm

This may be a very simple question, but please bear with me. I have been able to successfully create rolling credits with Boris Title Crawl. However, I have always had a bit of problems with alignment issues. I have always had to create two layers, one that is aligned in the center and one that is left aligned, however this usually involves manually pushing this text towards the center to get the text look proper (for some reason my rtf files aren't importing, and when I copy + paste my text, which doesn't retain it's proper alignment).

For example:
CREW (center layer)
Credits by JOHN SMITH (left hand layer)
Produced by JOHN SMITH

Is there an easier way of doing this?

Also, I have noticed that a lot Hollywood films have credit rolls that have everything centered but seemingly right aligned on the left hand side and left aligned on the right hand side. I will show an example, as I am sure my wording is confusing:

CAST
Jack JOHN SMITH
Marnie JANE DOE
Alexander JOHN DOE SMITH

However, if you center justify credits normally, they will look like this

CAST
Jack JOHN SMITH
Marnine JANE DOE
Alexander JOHN DOE SMITH
(or something to that effect).

Of course, aligning text to left or right will just push to the left or the right period.

Any ideas how people are able to align like my 2nd example to be able to have it everything aligned along space that's always in a fixed position?
I have tried creating two layers one right justified and one left and moving their position around but that doesn't work.

Return to posts index

CosmicX
oops
on Aug 31, 2005 at 5:44:20 pm

Sorry when I posted this, I didn't realize it didn't keep the formatting as I was writing it quickly. Essentially I would like to know if it's possible have a single layer or two layers that combine to represent two columns of rolling credits. On the left columns would be names of characters (right justified), and on the right column, there would be left justified text. The end result would be a space between two columns in the exact center of the credits, which would be maintained throughout the credits (just like many Hollywood film credits). Is this is possible?

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
Re: oops
on Aug 31, 2005 at 10:21:08 pm

Here's how I got it to work:

Each column is a layer of text in it's own title container. Justify the text in the text window (left justify for the right column; right justify for the left column) and position the X-axis of each CONTAINER to where you like it.

If you adjust the Y-axis settings, remember to set both containers to the same values so they will roll at the same speed.

Give it a try, and if you come up with a more expeditious method, let us know.

Return to posts index

CosmicX
on Sep 20, 2005 at 6:33:31 pm

Hi. I tried your suggestion and worked for the most part, except there seems to be a lag when one of the layers text ends. It's hard to explain but I originally had to modify the y-axis on one of them so the text would be aligned between the two columns (for some reason a centre layer of text I added seem to affect the other two columns alignment). Than I remembered what you said. So I tried modifying the margin for the right hand column instead and returned the y-axis values to normal, so the left and right hand column would stay in alignment. But still, my right hand column text layer seems to linger until the rest of the credits are done, even though the rest of it is just text on the center layer.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Sep 20, 2005 at 10:10:05 pm

I set up a 3-column roll (each column in it's own container) so they all three rolled together to the end. With a slight adjustment, I got them to line up (although theoretically the adjustment shouln't have to have been made. But you know how them reotheticals are.)

Is it possible that your right column did not have the exact same number of text lines in it? (If you have one more line of text in the left column, you'll need to add an extra "return" at the bottom of the right column to make the lines all match up, etc.)

Also, check to make sure the values of the ending keyframes of each title layer and container layer all match. Somehow, one of my containers "adjusted" the settings slightly on the ending keyfames of both the title and container layers, which threw off the alignment just enough to be slightly noticable at the end of the roll. When I matched the keyframe settings to that of the other containers, the roll matched perfectly. Same goes for the beginning keyframes, but I've never had issues with their values drifting.

Hope this helps. Let me know either way.

Return to posts index

CosmicX
on Sep 20, 2005 at 11:48:41 pm

Ok, I am not sure but I think I got to work without adjusting the y-axis or margins as I had done before. But I couldn't simply hit return to make them aligned, I had to fool around with it a little bit to make it aligned. In previous attempts to align, I had to make the right hand column have a y-axis value of 245 instead of 240. My second attempt was to make the top margin for that layer as 19 instead of 24, but that didn't work as I mentioned.

What I ended up doing is removing the spaces below the text for each of the left and right hand column (for Boris title crawl) but since there was more text in the right hand columns, they were misaligned, so I had to try I do hit return a few times so they would be aligned.

Essentially the problem is this. the left and right hand columns (which use their own independent boris title crawls and text layers), end before the center layer ends.

For example: Credits by (in the left hand column); meanwhile my name is the right hand column, aligned with 'Credits by' and directly below on the next line is my brother's name.

Then the center column continues a few spaces down with "shot on location....copyright 2005.....and then the name of the film to end". It appears that the text layers have all the same lengths (0:00:0-0:41:29) but what do you mean by containers? So I don't know the lingo that well, as I am learning this as I go. Do you mean each individual Boris title toolkit layer-one for each column?). Wouldn't make the left and right hand columns as long as the center column put the columns out of alignmen?(considering the last left or right hand column text ends before the centered title end)

It remains be seen whether or not I will still have the same problem with a right hand column that seems to freeze at the top edge of the screen until the center column roll is done. If you can offer me any more insights before I render this again, let me know.

thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Sep 21, 2005 at 4:58:04 pm

David,

It sounds as if we may have been approaching this credit roll from two different directions. I don't know if it would make any difference, but I'm using Red 3.0, and it sounds like you may be using Graffiti or FX. I don't see anything called "Boris Title Crawl" in my settings.

When I do a roll, I type up my info in a layer of text, (the manual mentions that I can import it from a word processing program, but I've never done that) then under the "Track" pulldown, select "New Title Container". It will automatically put the text layer in that container.

In the Control window for the title container, there is an Animation tab with an "Animation Style" selection window, where I choose the "Roll" option. Under the Position tab for the container is where I change the X-axis settings (but I suppose you can use the positon tab for the text layer instead.)

You have to put each text layer into it's own container (with each container having the same beginning and ending settings) if you want them to roll side-by-side, otherwise the container will "stack" the text layers one after another. The defaults of the container roll will begin and end the text roll completely off the screen.

If you want to adjust where the text will be at any given point in the roll, click on the beginning or ending keyframe of the container, then set your CTI wherever you want to check in the timeline, and change the Y-axis setting according to where you need to move the text.

If you have the center column come in after the left and right columns have rolled off the screen, you will need to adjust the ending of the left and right containers to get them off the screen sooner, and adjust the beginning (and possibly the ending) keyframes of the center container so it will "follow" the other two up and off the screen.

And once you get everything timed out, the Animation tab of the container also contains settings for masking and blending the top and bottom of your roll, so they can appear and disappear anywhere on the screen, if you llike that kind of thing.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Mark

Return to posts index

CosmicX
on Sep 21, 2005 at 6:06:23 pm

I think I have Boris FX if I remember correctly. What I do is put down three text layers (before I was using adjustment layers in the first credit roll I created). Then for each layer, I right click 'effects', scroll down and it to 'Boris'-->Text Scrambler, Title Crawl, Vector Shape, Vector Text (I choose title crawl) and I after that it seems like what we are doing is fairly similar. I using the plugin for Adobe After Effects 6.5 on my PC.

The center column only continues after the left and right hand column, but it actually starts before they do (but I sent that the lengths as the same, except there is empty spaces in those layers until text pops in them). For example: Cast (in order of appearance) would be the first thing you see in the center columns, than the characters/actors would be in their respective columns below that, then next time you would see text in the center column would be for 'Crew' and so forth.

Return to posts index

CosmicX
One more thing
on Sep 21, 2005 at 6:10:06 pm

The Boris title crawl option allows me to choose the speed, the type of credits (which I choose as roll), just like you and I also modified the geometry along the x-axis so they wouldn't overlap onto eachother. None of the text is on the text layer itself but rather in the Boris title crawl that is on top of it (you can import text from a word processor and change the font, bolding, etc from the Boris toolkit, which seems to be similar to what you are doing, just with different terminology).

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
Re: One more thing
on Sep 21, 2005 at 7:27:41 pm

Hmmmmm.......

We are definitely coming at this from totally different directions.

I would almost go back to when you are typing and importing the credits. Instead of using spaces to separate the columns, is there any way to use "tab" settings? For instance, set a right-justify tab for the left column, then a left-justify for the right, then just center the "CAST" and "CREW" headers? Of course, it would have to import into A/E or Boris properly and from your first post, it sounds like this has been an issue.

Can you create the text within the Boris application? Boris Red has tab functions in the Text window (you have to double-click them to change their justification), but I don't know if they would import tab settings from another application or not. If you can get this method to work, it may be possible to do the whole roll as one chunk of text, instead of trying to piece it together a column at a time.

This is all I can think of right now. Good luck, and let me know if it works.

Return to posts index

CosmicX
on Sep 21, 2005 at 10:12:17 pm

Yes, you can create text within the Boris Title Crawl window. You go to effects control where you would adjust such things as speed, but then you can either hit options or a large graphic that says "Boris Title Crawl} and smaller graphic beside it saying "Boris Title Tool Kit". I double click on it, and I can type or insert and modify the text, the font I am using, the justification, the shadow, the size of the text, etc.

Anyways, I rendered what I did and it no longer seems to have that problem with the last portion of right hand column credits freezing at the edge of the frame. I am not sure, but the alignment between the columns might be still a pixel or two off, but I am not sure if it's noticeable. Maybe I am just being paranoid. Everything within each column is aligned (unlike the way I was doing credits previously) but as I said the right and left hand columns might be slightly disaligned.

If I am reading this correctly, are you proposing that I don't use a center column at all but just use tabs to center it in either the left or right column? I have already made left-justified (for the right) and right-justified columns (for the left). Forgive me if I am confusing your words. I don't mean to sound as dense as I probably seem ;).

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Sep 21, 2005 at 10:58:23 pm

No, you don't seem dense, but I may seem that way by the time this is all done.....

In my last post, I think I had finally visualized what you were trying to create. My apologies for not seeing it sooner. When I saw that you had a page-centered "header", as well as the two columns of credits, I went about creating the roll a different way. You should be able to do the entire roll in a single layer, it was just a bit more difficult to get the columns and header positioned where I thought they should be.

For this example, ignore the earlier posts about making two separate text containers, matching keyframes, etc.

The whole text page should be center-justified (this will center the header between the columns.) For the two columns of credits, you will need to use the tab function to justify and position the text. Set a right-justify tab to the left of center, and a left-justify tab to the right of center. For each new line of text, hit the tab key BEFORE you type the left column; when you finish typing the info for that column, hit tab to take you to the right column. Do this for each line of text, and they should line up the same way you lined up the title containers from before.

For the next header, don't use the tab key at all and it should center-justify the header info.

The problem I ran into was that if the names in the right column were too long, it throws off the column spacing in relationship to the centered header, so you'll need to enter all of the info for the complete roll, then move the tab markers to center everything back up.

Once you get all of this built, you only have one big long "page" of text to roll, so there won't be any need to make separate title layers and containers, match in and out settings, etc.

I hope I finally made sense out of this, and I apologize again for describing two different ways to do this and confusing the matter more than I should have. Best of luck on this round.

Mark

Return to posts index

CosmicX
on Sep 22, 2005 at 2:30:17 am

Thanks. I think this just might work. I will have to render it out to see though.

About modifying keyframes on After Effects, they seem to not be as straightforward as the ones in Premiere Pro. I don't know, maybe I just am more comfortable with the way they are laid out in Premiere Pro. What I ultimately want to do is have the "INSERT GENERIC FILM TITLE" at slow down, freeze in the middle and fade to black after a few seconds. So I am going to try and do that in premiere instead. I once posted in the AE forum about this, and then they went off on me, saying I should look at the help files (which I did) and how all the rest of them are experts...Anyways, it's too much of a headache.

There is also the issue of slowing down the roll (even the slowest roll seems-100 pixels per sec for Boris Title Crawl, is a little faster than typical film credit rolls). I was thinking that I could try slowing down the exported credits video in premiere pro a little bit. But I am concerned that might end up causing the credits to look degraded in some fashion. If you have any experience in this, let me know.

I will give it a try I guess to see what happens. Otherwise, I will leave well enough alone and just deal with the credits the way they are.

anyways, I will let you know how the credits turned out the way you described. Sometimes it's hard to convey exactly what you want. My explanations seem to always come out convuluted haha.

Return to posts index

Alexis J. Estevez
Re: Creating Rolling Credits with an Alignment similar to Hollywood movies
on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:10:02 pm

I discovered the best and easiest method is within Boris Title Crawl:

http://www.alexisestevez.com

Return to posts index

Alexis J. Estevez
Re: Creating Rolling Credits with an Alignment similar to Hollywood movies
on Jul 8, 2015 at 7:13:38 pm

I discovered the best and easiest method is within Boris Title Crawl:

http://www.alexisestevez.com