BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

How do I get a 16:9 output picture on my monitor?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Swarbrick
How do I get a 16:9 output picture on my monitor?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 2:15:41 pm

I am using Boris Red 3GL in Liquid Edition, and it works very well for most things. However, when working in 16:9 aspect, I cannot get the video monitor output to produce a 16:9 anamorphic image. It looks like it is giving me square pixels. The workspace preview window works just fine in 16:9, however. But in order to correctly adjust the fineness of opacity gradients etc. I need to have a correctly displayed picture on a video monitor. Any ideas what I am missing?

Regards

Julian Swarbrick
East coast
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: How do I get a 16:9 output picture on my monitor?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 2:50:47 pm

Are you sending it out to a 16:9 monitor or 4:3? You will not automatically get a letterbox on a 4:3 display and it will look squeezed.

what is your setup?

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Aug 17, 2005 at 5:12:18 pm

Also make sure in Liquid thaty you are set up to 16:9, then in Boris in the prefs make sure that "Host settings" are applied.

Mark

Return to posts index

Julian Swarbrick
on Aug 17, 2005 at 8:46:12 pm

I realise this. Everything is set up in 16:9; Pinnacle Liquid Edition, my footage, my monitor, and Boris Red. See my later post.

Julian Swarbrick
East coast
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Julian Swarbrick
on Aug 17, 2005 at 8:54:48 pm

Host settings are activated.

I just heard back from Boris FX. They said:

"...output to external monitor from
Boris products when used as a plug-in through Pinnacle is/was not
supported. If it worked with Liquid 5.2 then that's a bonus. Note that we
have had couple of customers say that it is not possible with later
versions of Pinnacle."

So it doesn't work and will not work until this is addressed in a future version.

So how do I do accurate compositing? I must be using the wrong host NLE. Any suggestions? Apple Final Cut Pro seems a logical choice.

Regards

Julian Swarbrick
East coast
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Aug 18, 2005 at 11:23:16 am

Julian, I never work in 16:9, sorry, my last post was merely speculation. That said, I have worked with media100, and I can tell you that Borisfx integrates much much much better with that host than with Liquid.....I suspect the problem is on the Liquid side of things, not on Boris...I have also read that FinalCut integrates well with Boris.....I would probably go that route, or try out Avid.

Good luck,

Mark

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Aug 18, 2005 at 11:53:43 pm

Julian,

Accurate compositing as far as what? Camera moves or lighting moves or? Boris 3.02 readme says that video out is only available through the stand alone keyframer engine and not available through the plugin. What are you tring to accomplish that Edition does not give you the preview (non RT)?

Return to posts index

Julian Swarbrick
on Aug 22, 2005 at 10:24:36 pm

Thanks all for the replies so far.

Yes, "preview from render engine only, not plugin" is indeed stated in the readme file.

What I was doing was monitoring the subtle effects effects that radial gradients which fade to alpha produced, combined with linear gradients and gaussian blurs. I was tinting some footage to look like old film. No keyframing moves necessary in this particular case. With this kind of image treatment it is very easy to overdo it and make the video look too dark, or get the filter the wrong shape. Plus, I want to get an idea of how my effect will look in the eye of a viewer, for artistic sake. I found that not being able to get a 16:9 preview hampered me in this creative respect. However, I was able to switch back into the host (Edition) and check it out easily enough. But it would have been nice to do it direct from the plugin.

Everyone I know here in the UK is going Final Cut Pro; Is that the way to enlightenment? I don't really care what platform I use - it's creativity that counts!

Regards

Julian Swarbrick
East coast
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Aug 25, 2005 at 3:20:07 pm

I use Liquid, and I can honestly tell you that I am not a huge fan of Liquid.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]