BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

transparency in Liquid and Boris

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yohenk
transparency in Liquid and Boris
on Aug 16, 2005 at 8:26:19 am

To round up a project I am adding titles and illustrations to it. To give it a bit more impact I would like to add some 3D and lighting effects to it and I have downloaded the trial version of Boris Red and installed it as a plug in for Pinnacle Liquid. Works really fine so far, but here's the thing:

I can select a clip/title/picture from my timeline in Liquid and take only that clip to Boris to add an effect. But with all the titles and illustrations with a transparent background, Boris adds a background to it, so I can no longer see the underlying layers in Liquid.

Does anybody know whether I can solve this, and what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

-------

yohenk

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: transparency in Liquid and Boris
on Aug 16, 2005 at 7:24:51 pm

Hi,

Boris will have V1 and V2 as video layers by default. Make sure your bottom layer in Boris is not active unless your using it. I use Boris Red 3.02 with Edition 6.1 almost every day. Your on the right track. Just make sure your bottom layer in Boris is transparent or better still, not even present.

good luck...

Return to posts index

yohenk
on Aug 16, 2005 at 7:30:54 pm

Thanks! Will try it!

Cheers

-----

yohenk

Return to posts index

yohenk
on Aug 17, 2005 at 3:53:43 pm

I am probably doing something wrong, but I cannot get the text/illustration to have a transparent background. If I remove a layer underneath, it still remains black around it...

Do you have any clue what I could be doing wrong? Looking forward to work with the program, it looks promising.

Cheers!

Henk

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Aug 17, 2005 at 5:11:14 pm

Liquid does not pass along alpha information to Red. To do what want to do, create a "dummy" layer in Liquid ie color clip, then apply the Boris filter to it. Go into Boris, close the visibilty of the color clip, then import your elements directly from their hard drive locations.

I am using Boris Red with Liquid Blue and this solution works for me.

Mark Harvey

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Aug 19, 2005 at 5:59:24 am

Let me get the scenario correct. You have a clip in Edition and then you place the boris FX plug on the clip. Then you open the boris FX for editing. It launches Boris from within Edition. Now you're looking at the clip in Boris composite window. You add an effect (let's say a title) and it looks ok in Boris' composite window. Then you click the apply button and boris closes. Now your back in Edition and what you saw in the composite windows is not rendering on your timeline?

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Aug 19, 2005 at 5:35:15 pm

I read it differently than that....I think that he is trying to apply effects to a title or the like, something that has an alpha channel.....Boris is replacing that alpha with a background...which is because Boris doesn't get the alpha info....

Mark

Return to posts index

yohenk
on Aug 19, 2005 at 5:49:29 pm

Thanks for all your replies, and sorry for my absence; I was on quite a tight deadline but made it about 3 minutes before UPS picked up my tape :-)

I think it is indeed what you are saying Mark. I haven't tried the thing with the dummy clip and hard disk yet (I am not sure whether I fully understand it as I read it now as well).

The thing is also that I don't understand why this would be such a complex matter, because after all this is what Boris is made to do, right?

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Aug 21, 2005 at 3:17:39 am

Hi,

Can you detail your steps please? If you are trying to do a DVE on a title that came from Deko then why not just make the title in Boris, not in Deko? You can apply a title as a transition as well. Just drop the Boris transition plug on the cut and then open up Boris and creat a title. Then adjust the length in Liquid. Works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]