BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Hyperthreading: On or Off?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Editz
Hyperthreading: On or Off?
on Jul 31, 2005 at 12:56:28 am

Running Avid MCA-HD on an HP XW8000 (dual 3.06 with 2GB ram). Avid's policy on hyperthreading is that it's good to have it turned on. Will this have any impact, good or bad, on RED 3GL performance and render times if it has 'multiple processors' checked on under preferences?

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Hyperthreading: On or Off?
on Jul 31, 2005 at 2:38:11 am

Hi,

I have it turned on. I edit at an Edition 6.1 station though. I can not say for Avid but I'd hazard a guess that it could not hurt on your system to just leave it on.

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jul 31, 2005 at 5:19:56 am

Well it used to be that Avid recommended turning it off, but recently they reversed themselves, stating that it should be on for all systems but XpressPro.

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Jul 31, 2005 at 2:42:24 pm

It's been 4 years since I was on Avid so I'm sure alot of things have changed. As far as Boris is concerned HT can be either on or Off. You can set the 'affinity' in your task manager for the program to use all processors or only physical processors.

Return to posts index

advres
on Aug 2, 2005 at 11:52:54 pm

I would suggest making a few test projects and rendering them with MP on and off. There were some issues a while back with Boris products that actually made somethings render slower on HT machines with MP enabled.

I am not sure if that has been fixed yet, but I would give it a try to see how it fairs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]