BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Virtual Sky

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Editz
Virtual Sky
on Jul 28, 2005 at 9:30:36 pm

The project I have should probably be done with a true 3D program, but this is the tool I have to work with...

I have an extruded object that looks like a stadium big screen. I have various extreme camera moves going around it. I want a sky backdrop that tracks with the camera - I've tried using a fairly high resolution cloud image and mapped it to an object with a high negative Z and scale values, but I don't think it will sit far enough back to cover all of my planned camera moves.

Is there a way to place a BCC clould filter on an object (a sphere perhaps?) and have it represent an "environment" like in Softimage?

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Virtual Sky
on Jul 31, 2005 at 2:42:06 am

The problem I see with this is how do you know what it looks like in 3D space. In AE you can literally pull away from the scene to see what the whole stage looks like. Not so in Red. You could put a photograph of the sky as your last layer on a 3d plane and then put it in motion as the last item to animate and tweek it. Do you have a red file you've already started?

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jul 31, 2005 at 5:29:39 am

All of my objects are nested into one 3D folder and by adjusting the Z for each I can then achieve the depth I need. What I'm generating is a sports style scoreboard attached to several steel scaffold structures. I use the master container's camera to move in and around the structure. I can place a sky image into all of this and adjust the Z and scale to that it fills the background, but it's not deep enough to allow for very wide camera moves.

I was hoping there was a way to use a cloud filter as some sort of vector object that would allow for independent sizing, but it doesn't appear to work that way. I'll try to post a still of it here when I'm done with my latest render. I'm having to break these down into separate comps because my system can't handle it all at once. My last 5 second test render took 2.25 hours to finish!

I totally realize this is the wrong tool to be using for this type of work, but there's no convincing the producer to do it any other way. BTW you can check out http://www.borisfx.com/stories/archives/pankow.php - what I'm working on now is a continuation of what you see in my demo movie.

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jul 31, 2005 at 6:06:55 am

We'll see if this works:

[URL=http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=502531][IMG]http://show.imagehosting.us/show/502531/0/nouser_502/T0_-1_502531.jpg[/IMG]...

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jul 31, 2005 at 6:08:01 am

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Jul 31, 2005 at 3:27:50 pm

The way I achieve the effect is by placing a 3d plane outside of the container as the bottom object in the timeline. You can either pan and scan an actual photo of a sky shot or use the cloud generator. It's nicer to use the P&S technique if you have an actual picture of the sky around the stadium (or anywhere). You can take 360 degrees of sky and meld them together in Photoshop (or similar product) into a very wide P&S. If you can't get literally a 360 then a smaller amount would do and you can melt them together into a super wide angle sky shot. Otherwise the cloud generator will do. Once you've made the 3d plane track you'll have control of it's camera separately because it's outside the container. Then you can adjust xyz as needed. I first saw this trick done in AE on the Van Helsing movie where they pan the camera around things and meanwhile in the background the mob of people are seen. This is why I say it's easy to do in AE because you can pull back from the scene and place photo's or video clips in 3d space relative to the camera.

take care.

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Aug 1, 2005 at 1:20:50 am

Another thought I had today about this was to take a camera outside and actually shoot the sky using the camera move you want and then importing the AVI for use as the background. It would save one hell of alot of compositing if you can get the camera move you want.

Return to posts index

Editz
on Aug 1, 2005 at 2:21:26 am

I actually found your idea of putting the cloud filter on a track outside of the container to work pretty nicely. It's not a real structure by any means, so the sky doesn't have to look that photorealistic, and I'm restricting my camera moves so that it doesn't have to track very far. The biggest gripe left is my unnatural (unskilled) lighting technique, but I really don't have any time left to screw with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]