BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

How do you zoom into a video clip?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Robbins
How do you zoom into a video clip?
on Jul 10, 2005 at 5:32:05 am

I had someone call today with a VHS security tape they wanted to have someone enhance in clarity and zoom in on a frame to identify who had broken into their property. So, I have visions of "Alias" and other TV shows that display all this high tech enhancing of unreadable license plates etc. for crime investigations.

I have Media 100 XR 8.2, Boris RED on Mac OS 10.2.9

Are these functions available in Media 100 or Boris? If not, what kind of programs are used to enhance video?

Thanks for any input, I always want to find out what is possible and with what...

Return to posts index

mark harvey
Re: How do you zoom into a video clip?
on Jul 11, 2005 at 5:34:34 pm

You can zoom into the video using scale, but it is like the old digial zoom that they sell you on camcorders.....you increase the size of Pixels.....zoom it too much, and you will see the pixels.....to create these types of shots effectively, you need some pretty high resolution footage, such as film. VHS will look pretty crappy, even at 100 scale, imagine zooming, it will look worse.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Jul 11, 2005 at 6:42:14 pm

One possibility is to choose the frame that has the most "facial clarity", export a freeze of that frame to Photoshop, and enlarge it incrementally by choosing "Image"; "Image Size"; choose "Percent" in the top pulldown selections, set it to 110% and hit OK. ( By enlarging it by only 10%, it will "fix" the pixelation issue.) Then repeat as many times as it takes to get it to the size you need. Set one of your function keys to make this a saved action, and you can do this very quickly. Needless to say, you won't be able to do this with moving video, but maybe you can get an ID from the still shot.

Keep in mind, you can't get much worse than VHS for image clarity, so don't expect miracles.

Good luck!
Mark

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Jul 12, 2005 at 1:52:47 pm

Mark, sounds good, but if you increase to 110%, then you are effectively growing the pixels by 10%....If there are no extra pixels, they can only be grown...you cannot introduce extra resolution, ie the new image cannot have more resolution than the original.

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]