Kent Wolf
Create irregular-edged,
on Jun 22, 2005 at 8:00:46 pm

Can someone please tell me

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
Re: Create irregular-edged,
on Jun 23, 2005 at 3:49:18 pm

Can you define what you mean by a "thick" PSD image? When I have a masked photo (with multiple layers, not flattened) from Photoshop, it has always imported into Boris as a "Still Image File" with the mask intact, and I could manipulate it from there.

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:36:31 pm

Thick = extruded, which, when turned sideways, exhibits the characteristic of having thickness.

Kind of like if you turned a dime sideways, and could make it look 1" thick.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:17:28 pm

Take the face, create a new spline object and create an outline of the face....then extrude the spline object layer and map the face to the front of the extruded object. Check out Tim Rice's tutorial on making a 3d logo, it will get you going in the right direction.

Mark

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:22:09 pm

Thanks!

I have seen that tutorial, but since it was just text, it didn't really seem to help.

>>...create an outline of the face...

If you could point me in the right direction on just this facet, I believe I could work out the rest.

Is there a basic way/set of steps to "create an outline of the face?"

Thanks much! I am encouraged... :)

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:32:05 pm

I took a look again at the tutorial and actually, I believe I see how to make the outline.

I guess my question should actually be...

>>...map the face to the front of the extruded object..

Could you please explain basically how to do this?

I do not need a lot of detail, but basic steps would be very helpful to me.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:43:28 am

I am not getting the option to extrude the picture.

Here is exactly what I am doing. I am obviously missing a step somewhere:

1.) Create a new project.
2.) Delete Video 2 track since I do not need it. I have Video 1 track remaining.
3.) Video 1 track, Change Track Media.
4.) That new media is the masked PSD file, Still Image File.
5.) With the collapsed single track selected, I click the Add Spline Media icon. I now have 2 tracks, the splined media track on top.
6.) I select the Spline Media track/Face
7.) Select the pen tool.
8.) I outline the picture face. It has a thin red border when finished.
9.) Under the original still image track/transformations, there is no option to extrude.
10.) Under the Spline media track/transformations, there is also no option to extrude.
11.) If, with the Splined Media track, change the track shape to 3D extrusion, I now have the option to extrude under Transformations. So, I extrude it a little.
12.) I now have a white shape in the shape of the picture face outline I did. It is extruded.
13.) I see nowhere to select the still image PSD file as one of the faces. I do see under Spline Track/Transformations/materials/face count a place to select materials, but I only see plastic, gold, etc. I do not see where I can select the PSD file.

So, at the end of the day, I am left with a white outline in the sape of the PSD still image file person

Return to posts index

Tim Rice
on Jun 24, 2005 at 1:27:29 pm

Kent,
-Once your spline is extruded, with your spline track highlited
-go to the textures tab. Click the checkbox next to "fr" for front
-change map method to clip; you'll see in your timeline a front texture tack appear
-import in the still you want to use if you haven't already
-drag and drop your still onto the front texture track.
-you may need to position and scale your image to fit it in

Hope this helps!
Tim

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:13:31 pm

Thank you very much!

Question:

It seems that when I do a fairly close outline with the pen tool, the final result has the mapped face still image as too small.

When I try to scale the image to fit the extruded outline, the image AND the pen-drawn outline grows, almost like there is a border/gap around the mapped image file.

Do you know how I could avoid this?

Thank you very much for your help! (I am almost done!)

Return to posts index

Tim Rice
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:57:06 pm

can you post a picture... I'm not really picturing what you're trying to say...

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jun 24, 2005 at 6:30:42 pm

I always thought it would be a nice feature to have Red be able to generate a spline object based on the alpha of a track - that would save a lot of time tracing objects like people or whatnot that already have been cut out in Photoshop or some other image editing program.

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 24, 2005 at 6:46:54 pm

I saw a tutorial yesterday that pretty much did that. You mask the image/make a selection, but you have to create a working path, export that to Adobe Illustrator (*.ai), I believe you rasterize it in Illustrator, then import it to Red.

You have to have Illustrator though, which I do not.

Question: Does this forum have the ability to post images, as requested?

Return to posts index

Editz
on Jun 24, 2005 at 7:38:58 pm

Yes, you can post an html link to images on whatever hosting service you have. Haven't done it in some time though, and I forget what the restrictions are, if any.

Return to posts index

Kent Wolf
on Jun 25, 2005 at 4:33:16 am

Tim:

Just as I was making a quick and dirty web site so you can see what I am talking about, I figured out what I was doing wrong:

When I was trying to completely fill the extruded object with the still image file, I was using the scale settings under the *position* tab, not the *textures* tab. If one is not that familiar with Red (like me), the sheer volume of settings can be confusing. I finally figured it out though...with you all's help

I feel like such a dope...

It turns out that I can now make what wantted to in the first place.

Thank you all very much for your input ad asistance!

Return to posts index

Tim Rice
on Jun 27, 2005 at 12:58:46 pm

Glad you figured it out...
I don't know how many times I've stared blankly at the screen thinking I have no idea how to do this and then voila I just see it!
Tim

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Jun 27, 2005 at 3:52:39 pm

sorry I was out of this thread for a while....have been busy (as always) and it friday was off due to St-Jean Baptist day here in Qu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]