BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Red and Combustion

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jbanker
Red and Combustion
on Jun 1, 2005 at 11:52:20 pm

Hello all,

(I posted this info in the combustion forum eariler) BTW, I use a Dual 2 G5 / 2.5G ram / ATI 9600 Pro

Right now I'm trying to decide which compositor to buy. I like Boris Red and Combustion - I haven't tried AE yet. After downloading the demos and trying a tutorial in each they both look good. However, it is difficult to say which one I'd like more, or which one is more powerful only after a couple of days.

What I liked in Red - I was able to move images around very quickly/easily - 2d motion / Although I haven't used it, 'Opitcal Flow!' / I can work inside FCP or as a standalone. What I like about Combustion - great looking interface / I played with the chroma keyer and it was good / I tried two other tutorials, but I had two crashes so I read through the tuts and they show some real power in the program / Plus there seems to be plenty of training material and users. Both Red and C* boast of 3d compositing. Are they similar? Can I manipulate planes (showing stills or video) through 3d space with lights and different camera angles? I'm searching for the 'perfect' program - and I know there isn't one that does it all, but one that gets me the most is enough. Any opinions are welcome!

If you're wondering what it is I want to do? So am I. :) However, I'm thinking that I need a program that has more compositing power than motion graphics abilities/power. I am looking for a program that handles 3D space well.

Lastly, how well does Red stack up to Shake 4. (I know Shake 4 isn't released yet, but I noticed it will incorporate 3D.) I won't be working with large format files or film stuff - just DV. And I know the price is much different - lets throw that out for the time being.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jon

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Red and Combustion
on Jun 2, 2005 at 2:59:05 am

No offence but your post is jibberish. Exactly what do you want to do?

For 3D space-After effects is King of the hill. Don't get me wrong, I use Boris Red all of the time but for 3D Zspace models you must have After Effects. As for Combustion, it's been a couple of revision since I've looked at it. It

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Red and Combustion
on Jun 2, 2005 at 3:08:28 am

No offence but your post is jibberish. Exactly what do you want to do?

For 3D space-After effects is King of the hill. Don't get me wrong, I use Boris Red all of the time but for 3D Zspace models you must have After Effects. As for Combustion, it's been a couple of revision since I've looked at it. I'd heard the interface looks good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]