BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

alpha channels in Boris Red

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lilah_rose
alpha channels in Boris Red
on May 11, 2005 at 4:40:27 pm

I am new to Boris Red and I am having trouble rendering out an alpha channel to be used in Avid Media Composer Adrenaline. I am using the Red Engine (standalone) so that I can render out a movie file to import and manipulate in MCA without having to re-render everytime I change something. The problem is, when I render out a movie from Red and import it into MCA, I can't get the alpha channel to work. I have tried all of the render setting options for alpha channels within Red and I have tried all the different import settings in MCA. Any ideas what is wrong?

lilah

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: alpha channels in Boris Red
on May 12, 2005 at 1:36:09 am

did you export to MOV using the anamiation compression and the millions + color space? the + is the alpha channel, if it isn't selected there is no alpha channel. Also, make sure there literally is a transparent backgroud by closing the 'eye' on any underlying track. I usually select the checkerboard for transparency to make sure there is a transparent background before I ever start. These settings always work for my premiere station. For my Liquid edition editing suite I use the TGA seqence which will work no matter what (in any NLE i've ever used).

Good luck...

Return to posts index

Editz
on May 12, 2005 at 3:59:41 pm

Ditto on the previous post. When you see checkerboard, that's the area the Avid will key through. Make sure you select "Invert Existing" on MC when importing your movie.

Return to posts index

lilah_rose
on May 18, 2005 at 3:58:43 pm

Thanks for all the input. I was using Boris as a standalone, not within MCA. But once I opened the effect in MCA and "exported" (vs. render) as a targa sequence, it worked just fine. Now I'm having a different problem, though, so I will make a new post so it actually gets read :)

lilah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]