ADOBE ENCORE DVD: Forum Tutorials DVD Authoring

Adobe Encore spontaneously switching from 16:9 to 4:3 during Build

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson Jrakman
Adobe Encore spontaneously switching from 16:9 to 4:3 during Build
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:41:35 pm

I am using Adobe Encore CS6 on a PC.

So I've burned 14 DVDs (14 different projects) in a row through Encore, and didn't have this problem. Then suddenly, with the 15th DVD this problem popped up.

I import .mp4 footage as a timeline. When I do so, the Aspect Ratio in the Properties panel shows 16:9 selected. The menu is also 16:9. I look on the Monitor panel, and the footage appears to be at the correct 16:9 aspect ratio throughout the entirety of the footage. I hit "check project" and everything seems to be okay.

I hit build, and Encore starts building the DVD.

At some point during the building, it spontaneously changes the .mp4 footage to 4:3. 4:3 is selected on the Properties panel rather than 16:9, and I did not make the change myself.

When I play the DVD in my DVD player, it works just fine otherwise. But the picture is now 4:3. It is not squashed, where everyone looks super skinny and stretched. But rather, the image is not squashed at all, and there appears to be two 4:3 "letter boxes" on either side of the screen, covering either side of the image.

Does anyone know what's going on here and how I can correct this?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Adobe Encore spontaneously switching from 16:9 to 4:3 during Build
on Jan 8, 2018 at 8:04:29 pm

Basically, don't put .mp4 files into Encore. The video files on a DVD are always MPEG-2, so whatever other formats you might put into Encore, they WILL get transcoded to MPEG-2 anyway. I prefer to create the proper files for Encore from Premiere, then I have no issues in Encore like you are seeing.

From Premiere, Export your video using the MPEG-2 DVD format, using an appropriate widescreen preset from available options. The resulting files will be "Encore-ready" and should not have weird issues.

It will take the same amount of time to convert your files in Encore or using Premiere/Media Encoder, and I don't trust Encore to do the best job so I always create the MPEG-2 DVD files first.

Also, I don't know the source of the .mp4, but if you exported it from Premiere, that's an error since H.264 is very compressed, and that very-compressed file will be re-compressed again for the DVD, so better to just export Premiere timeline straight to MPEG-2 DVD in the first place if you can.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 8, 2018 at 8:48:27 pm

Thank you very much for your response!

I was rendering .mp4s from After Effects. I tend to prefer that application to Premiere so I often default to it.

The strange thing is that in none of the previous 14 DVDs where I also had .mp4s rendered out of After Effects had this issue.

The files I'm burning to DVD are utilitarian in nature, so quality isn't that much of an issue, some minor compression artifacts are somewhat okay if I can get smaller file sizes.

But I'll give your Premiere method a try later this evening. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 8, 2018 at 9:37:36 pm

I doubt you can even export MPEG-2 DVD directly from After Effects. In any case, not recommended to use .mp4 as the "intermediate" file - think of .mp4 for delivery only and not part of the production pipeline.

Don't know if you're on PC or Mac. Export from After Effects to a decent intermediate codec, like ProRes on Mac, or DNxHD or Cineform on PC. Those are basically "visually lossless", then make the MPEG-2 DVD from that file.

Any of these intermediate codecs ought to export faster than .mp4 anyway since they are less-compressed.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 8, 2018 at 11:01:08 pm

I am on a PC.

I've never rendered a DNxHD or Cineform from After Effects before. I'll give that a try too.

Still not sure why it would have worked the previous 14 times though, and suddenly stop on the 15th DVD. Unless that's just the buggy nature of Encore.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 9, 2018 at 4:01:19 am

So I opened up After Effects, and I don't have any options to export as DNxHD or Cineform.

There is a DPX\Cineon Sequence option. But I don't know if that's the same thing.

There's also an MPEG2-DVD option.

I'll try the Premiere route for now.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 9, 2018 at 4:06:01 am

Actually I'm going to try rendering an MPEG2-DVD out of After Effects first, and see if that works. If not, then I'll try Premiere.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:46:25 pm

I don't have AE installed on the machine I'm typing on, but I think if you choose QUICKTIME as the format, then when you look under codecs you may find the GoPro Cineform option.

No DNxHD option? You should be able to export as .mxf format.

What Adobe versions are you running? If everything is CS6, then you won't have Cineform or DNxHD pre-installed, although the latter can be downloaded and installed from the Avid site.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:40:45 pm

Everything I'm running is CS6. I'll try to look for those options again later this evening. Again, thanks for your responses here!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:49:33 pm

With CS6, you'd have to install the codecs yourself.

Avid QuickTime codec for Windows here - http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

Install with Adobe apps closed! Avid DNxHD should then be available under QuickTime next time you use Adobe.

With CS6, I used to get Cineform by installing the free GoPro Studio software. They have some new app now and I don't know if that installs the codec or not anymore.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 10, 2018 at 3:17:19 am

So rendering the MPEG-2 video from After Effects gave me an XMPSES File, an Adobe Prelude XMP file, and a Wave Sound file. I'm not really sure what to do with all of that, so I think I'll give the Premiere option a go instead.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 10, 2018 at 3:39:47 am

You know, I'm not sure the Premiere option will work for me either because I don't really know what to do with all the files it creates.

One interesting note, in Encore when I click on the .mp4, it shows the dimensions as 854 x 480. But when I click on the timeline that that .mp4 is in, it shows the dimensions as being 720 x 480.

When I click on the preview, it seems to play fine without the added pillar boxes that appear when the DVD is burned.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 10, 2018 at 3:50:15 am

Back in After Effects, I chose QuickTime, but no Cineform option is available. There's something called Cinepak.

And I don't see DNxHD anywhere. But there is an MXF OP1a as a format option.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 10, 2018 at 3:54:04 am

It looks like this guy was having a similar problem, but I'm not sure what he did. I'm having a difficult time understand what he's written:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1453516

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 10, 2018 at 5:05:18 pm

As I wrote yesterday after you said your apps were all CS6, those do not natively offer Cineform or DNxHD like CC does, however you can manually download and install other codecs onto your machine, (see my post).

When you export MPEG-2 DVD, you will get multiple files, but the only TWO that you need for Encore are the .m2v video and .wav audio and just disregard the rest, you don't need them. The beauty of this method is that the video is "DVD ready" and should not get transcoded. The .wav audio by default will be converted to Dolby Digital AC-3 without you doing anything. Once you hit BUILD it goes quickly since only the audio gets converted. I can BUILD a 2-hour DVD project to a ready-to-burn .iso file in like 2 minutes flat!

In Encore, select Import as Timeline and then multi-select the .m2v and .wav files and that's it, proceed with authoring.

I've been using Encore for many years, making both 4:3 and 16:9 DVDs and I've never had it confuse the two, and I do NOT ever do any manual setup of Encore. I start a New Project in Encore, and import my .m2v video and it just KNOWS whether it is 4:3 or 16:9, never gives me any grief in that regard and I don't mess with any settings. Just works.

Just whatever you do, don't import .mp4 files into Encore, just not a good workflow even if it may have worked in the past, just trust me on this, you are compression the video twice, losing time and quality.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 11, 2018 at 3:48:20 am

You sure did. I get home from work a bit late, so sometimes I'm a bit tired when reading posts. I see where you wrote that now.

I've read other folks talk about using the .m2v and .wav, but I don't really know how to use them together in encore.

I mentioned that I've imported .mp4 (which I won't do anymore as per your recommendation) but I've also imported .mov's (should I be importing those?). It's worked for me in the past because the file takes care of itself. I'm not sure how to marry the video and audio in Encore with two separate files.

You instructions here make it sound pretty simple, so I'll give it a shot with importing the two separate files into Encore as you describe.

I'm guessing the .m2v and .wav exported out of After Effects are just as good as the same files exported out of Premiere? I prefer the workflow of After Effects over Premiere very much.

I haven't done any manual set up either, with regard to aspect ratio. So far, it has known what aspect ratio the footage is, and automatically selects it. This is the first time I've run into this problem.

Anyway, thanks again for your patience and sticking with me. I'll let you know how your suggestion goes for me.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 11, 2018 at 4:23:40 am

Okay, so I got the codec and installed it.

I'm now rendering out the DNxHD from After Effects as you suggest. It's giving me a 5.5 render time for a 1:11:59 length footage of 854 x 480. Does that sound right? I selected 100% quality. Should I have selected less?

Anyway, I'm going to let this render overnight.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 11, 2018 at 4:24:41 am

*5.5 hour render time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 11, 2018 at 3:16:19 pm

5.5 hours sounds extreme, but I don't know :

A) what your computer hardware is like
B) what kind of footage you are working with
C) what effects might be applied

Also, it is unusual to export as 854x480 for DVD, as DV NTSC widescreen is 720x480 with a 1.2 Pixel Aspect Ratio. Encore especially is expecting 720x480 whether using 4:3 video (0.9 PAR) or 16:9 (1.2 PAR). I don't know what will happen if you throw 854x480 at it, never tried.

I should add that yes, if exporting for online or computer viewing, then you want to use square pixels (1.0) and you would/could use the 854x480 for widescreen video. But not recommended in a DVD workflow which uses 720x480 only.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 11, 2018 at 3:33:52 pm

I'd missed this reply from you - "using the .m2v and .wav, but I don't really know how to use them together in encore. "

You can use Import as Asset, and individually import .m2v and .wav files, and then simply drag each to the same timeline. Or use Import as Timeline and grab both together, ends up the same, either way is fine.

The two file thing is preferred because as I mentioned earlier, then Encore does not need to transcode the video. When you give Encore a single file with audio and video - even if it is MPEG-2 format - Encore first needs to demux (de-multiplex) or separate the audio from the video, which means both of them will then need to be transcoded back into the proper formats as required by the official DVD specification. So why not just give it the correct assets it wants in the first place?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 11, 2018 at 8:15:36 pm

A) Don't have the info off hand, but I can post it later when I get home
B) I am working with an .mp4, using After Effects to turn it into a DNxHD. I suppose I could probably just use media encoder?
C) no effects. Just a single straight .mp4 file.

Maybe I'll change the aspect ratio to 720 from 854 and re-render it tonight.

Should I keep the quality setting of the DNxHD QT codec in After Effects at 100% or lower it some when I render?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 12, 2018 at 4:08:50 am

So I don't get why you are using AE for this. On the rare times when I find myself forces to use AE, I find it complicated to just do a simple export...too many settings to mess with and possibly get wrong. And if you are basically just converting a file with little to no editing or effects, why not Premiere?

As for the 5.5 hours, either the computer is old/slow or After Effects is slower at exporting than Premiere, but without any PC specs I dunno.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 12, 2018 at 4:18:45 am

Mainly just personal preference. I find the workflow in AE much better than premiere. lol I find Premiere to be overly complicated in export in the same way. ☺ It probably boils down to the fact that I work much more often in AE than Premiere.

So, now I have a choice to either render out an MPEG2-DVD or a QuickTime DNxHD out of AE. When I choose the Avid DNxND Coden, there's a quality setting. I'm going to choose 100%

I've changed the aspect ratio from 854 to 720.

Here's my computer stats:

3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4460
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H81M-H
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. F2 08/10/2015

16286 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 9D3C8884)
Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number 870A1119)
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 12, 2018 at 5:36:53 pm

Core i5 explains part of the slow export. Is this a laptop? What drive are you using for video clips? With any NLE, should always use a fast, dedicated media drive and not the system drive. If using C: drive that will be a performance bottleneck.

Changing 854 to 720 is changing the frame size - the Pixel Aspect Ratio is different and refers to shape of the actual pixels, meaning square or rectangular. You must set this correctly also, should be 1.2 for NTSC DV Widescreen.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:35:37 am

Nope, this is a desktop computer, not a laptop, and probably a few years old now.

Currently I'm using a One Book for my dedicated footage drive, Drive L.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the square vs. rectangular pixels matter I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 15, 2018 at 6:20:54 pm

"I'm a bit fuzzy on the square vs. rectangular pixels matter I'm afraid."

A Pixel is a Picture Element. Every digital photo or frame of video is made up of tiny pixels, the small dots that when combined form the larger image.

With a STILL image, pixels are normally square-shaped with a 1.0 Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR). The width and height of each pixel is the same. Therefore, if a picture is 1000x1000 pixels (or any number of pixels where the X and Y dimensions are the same) then the resulting image is also square.

At the beginning of computers being able to play video clips decades ago, those were usually 640x480 pixels, which provided the same 4:3 ratio as televisions of the time. Or 320x240 was used to create smaller clips, while keeping the same 4:3 image aspect ratio.

In the late 90s, digital video was introduced and for some reason, they decided 4:3 video would now be 720x480 pixels...except that is not 4:3, is it?! So they made the pixels taller than they were wide, with a Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 0.9 which obviously is no longer a square pixel.

Remember MiniDV camcorders? That is where the 720x480 thing started. And DVD uses the same 720x480 size for SD video, as do all editing applications.

If we do 720 * 0.9, we get 648. Yes, I know that's not exactly 640, but that's pretty close and that's how they basically maintain the 4:3 aspect of the video image. The interesting thing is that with DV video, whether you are working with 4:3 footage or widescreen 16:9 footage, the frame size remains the same 720x480 pixels!

So how do we get a 16:9 aspect ratio from footage that is only 720x480? Change the shape of the pixels - the PAR - to make them wider, which results in the final video appearing wider! The PAR for widescreen DV is 1.2, so the pixels are wider than they are tall, resulting naturally in a wider image then when all the pixels are put together into an image.

We just need to be careful to realize that the aspect ratio of the VIDEO and the aspect ratio of PIXELS are two entirely different things. With 720x480 pixels, we can end up with a video having a 4:3 aspect by using a PAR of 0.9, or we can get a widescreen 16:9 video aspect by going with a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio.

When you create a widescreen DVD, the DVD player can sense what aspect the video is meant to be and should display it appropriately as either 4:3 or 16:9, so this pixel aspect ratio "trick" works just fine. However, when you play a video clip on your computer, from the hard drive or online, most software video players don't pay any attention to the PAR and just ASSUME that the pixels are SQUARE (1.0 PAR). So what happens to that 720x480 image that is supposed to be widescreen? It gets played as if it is a 4:3 video and everyone gets tall and skinny!

So that is why the video you downloaded was 854x480 pixels - because using 1.0 PAR, that is the correct size for widescreen video "online". But we want 720x480 for DVD, with a 1.2 PAR. That's why I suggested placing that 854x480 video into a 720x480 DV Widescreen sequence in Premiere. Premiere should realize what's going on, taking into account the difference in PARs and should fit the clip properly into the DV widescreen frame. Then export as MPEG-2 DVD widescreen using 1.2 PAR and you then have an .m2v clip ready to author to DVD in Encore. No funny business with size will happen at that point. Encore will not be confused.

As an aside, the first consumer HD cameras that came out used the HDV format, recording HD video on the same MiniDV cassettes that had been used record much smaller standard definition (SD) video clips before. That would require a LOT of compression to squeeze HD video onto a tape designed for SD video!

HD video is 1920x1080 pixels with a PAR of 1.0 (square pixels). To compress HD files smaller to fit MiniDV tapes as HDV, the resolution was compromised, down to 1440x1080 using a 1.333 PAR. That's a lot less pixels to have to record!

Check this math out - 1440 * 1.333 = 1920, so when HDV video is played back with the HDV camera or VCR, the output is then 16:9 as meant to be viewed. Video editing software also respects PAR, so for instance a 1440x1080 HDV clip can be dropped into a 1920x1080 HD sequence in Premiere and will fill the screen properly - automatically.

I've seen folks edit their HDV footage as 1440x1080 and then export the same dimensions, and guess what? When they play the video on their computer, or upload it somewhere, it looks like a 4:3 video since the players take the 1440x1080 size literally and do not adjust for the 1.333 PAR.

Moral of that story is that if editing HDV footage, when you export then use 1920x1080 with 1.0 PAR so it comes out correctly for the viewers. And if editing DV widescreen footage and exporting for upload, then use 854x480 with 1.0 PAR. But don't give that size to Encore, as it's not what it expects and your mileage may vary.

Hoping this is now clearer. Do a Google search on video pixel aspect ratio. For your reading enjoyment, maybe check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:30:05 pm

So I have my QuickTime, adjusted to a 720x480 aspect ratio. I import it into Encore as a timeline. Encore automatically detects the footage with a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than a 16:9 aspect ratio.

I'll try exporting out of After Effects as an MPEG2-DVD and see if I can get a different result.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 12, 2018 at 7:37:01 pm

The MPEG2-DVD is rendering much faster. I'm getting a 2 hour render time.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:39:11 pm

Okay, so after doing some additional reading, I think I might know what the problem is here, and it boils down to aspect ratio.

The original footage I had was 854 x 480. Like you said, this is a weird aspect ratio. I downloaded the footage from YouTube, so I think what happened here was the guy who uploaded the footage, reduced the size of the widescreen file by giving it this weird aspect ratio.

When I import this footage into Encore, it initially reads the 854 x 480 as 16:9, but then when I hit the build button it says, oh wait a minute, this is really 4:3, because 720x480 is close to that size, and is 4:3.

So I think I need to render footage at a 16:9 dimension that Encore will read as 16:9 during the build. The lowest 16:9 aspect ratio I know of, that Encore might easily recognize, is 720p. But I could also try 1024×576 or 1152×648 too. I might even be able to go down to 896 x 504. Here's a list of true 16:9 resolutions:

https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 12, 2018 at 8:50:46 pm

Jaeson,

.....I've been authoring DVDs for 18 years....I am providing the exact details on how to succeed, but you keep wanting to do your own thing....good luck then.....

PS - 720x480 is NOT an "aspect ratio". Terminology matters.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 12, 2018 at 9:48:39 pm

I was cranky earlier, apologies.

DO THIS:

1) Open Premiere
2) Create a NEW SEQUENCE, using DV NTSC WIDESCREEN preset
3) Go to Sequence Settings,and change FIELDS to NO FIELDS (PROGRESSIVE)
4) Import your .mp4 clip and drag into timeline. If Premiere wants to adjust to match clip, say NO!
5) Does your clip properly fill the screen? If not, we'll need to fix that
5) Go to File > Export > Media
6) Select MPEG-2 DVD as the FORMAT
7) For PRESET, choose NTSC DV WIDE PROGRESSIVE
8) Set bit rate accordingly
9) EXPORT

For video under 60 minutes, just use CBR 8.0 encoding

For longer vids, use 560/minutes = bit rate, but don't exceed 8. At some point, 2-Pass VBR makes sense. Or use a bit rate calculator - http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:29:06 am

No sweat about getting cranky. We're all human. Happens to all of us.

Anyway, just saw this, and the "aspect ratio" thing I was talking about earlier worked out, even though I used the wrong terminology. I'm happy to be corrected though.

For some reason, Encore just did not like that goofy 854 dimension. This time, it didn't automatically render at 4:3, and kept the 16:9.

I'm glad that you posted the instructions for Premiere though. I do need to practice more in Premiere than I do, so I will be referring back to this thread in the future, and use that. Thanks for posting it.

I didn't notice much of a difference in build time with the Avid DNxHD codec in a Quicktime though.

I'm a bit of a slow study I'm afraid, but overall this has been a very helpful and information packed thread. Some of the information you laid out is a bit over my head at the moment, but I'll absorb it over time as I come back to this thread to reference it any time I burn a DVD. Lots of good stuff here.

One question though for future reference, is your preference for the Avid DNxHD codec in a Quicktime, or for the MPEG2-DVD with the separate .wav and .m2v files? And why?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 15, 2018 at 3:00:34 pm

When preparing assets for Encore, I will ALWAYS go straight to MPEG-2 DVD, with the separate .m2v and .wav files. That is the optimum workflow for Encore. I NEVER import any other video format into Encore.

Without re-reading the whole thread again, I believe I'd only suggested an intermediate codec since I didn't know if AE actually offered the MPEG-2 DVD export preset. If it didn't, then you could export to the DNxHD or other high-quality codec instead. But then still, I would then transcode that file to MPEG-2 DVD using Premiere or Media Encoder and would not use the intermediate clip directly in Encore.

I haven't tested this theory myself, but a lot of users claim that the Encore transcoding does not look as good as doing it from Premiere/Media Encoder, so that's another reason not to feed Encore anything but .m2v video.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]