SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

FS7 Footage @120fps

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamie mcgee
FS7 Footage @120fps
on Feb 25, 2019 at 4:29:58 pm

Hi,
I have been given a load of footage to prepare for an edit.
Director wants it as slo as possible.
XAVC Intra HD
Looks like FS7 capture FPS at 120 fps HD
Record Frame Rate at 50fps
Shutter angle 360

I played a shot back to the director at 50fps, approx half speed, but he was expecting it a lot slower and insisted the camera was set to record at 25fps.
I showed him the metadata to confirm and also interpreted the footage as 25fps in Premiere and played back, but it wasnt particularly smooth and motion blur made it look a little muddy/soft.

Checked with the camera guy who said shutter angle didnt matter if it was so, but hasnt commentated on the 50fps record.

Has the cam operator made a mistake recording at 50fps if director wants it to be as slo as possible? Is the shutter angle detrimental to the capture, and is it causing issues if I interpret at 25 fps?

Any help would be appreciated Not really my field of expertise but i feel like I am flogging a dead horse trying to give the director what he wants but not knowing if there is an issue with the footage?
jm

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: FS7 Footage @120fps
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:39:38 pm

The camera op screwed up, big time. First, the FS7 is capable of 180 fps in XAVC-I, so the camera op messed that up in the first place if the director wanted it as slow as possible. Second, a 360-degree shutter introduced more motion blur into the scene. A 180-degree shutter would have been standard, and would have greatly reduced the motion blur.

It doesn't matter whether the camera's native framerate was set to 50 or 25; 120 fps is 120 fps, and will only give you 2.4x slow motion in a 50 fps timeline, and 4.8x at 25 fps. What does matter is that (a) the camera op missed the opportunity to record at 180 fps, and (b) set the wrong shutter angle so the frames were more motion blurred than they should have been.

Return to posts index

jamie mcgee
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:49:32 pm

Thanks for the info.
To confirm I am Ok to interpret the footage as 25fps for 'maximum' slomo available for the clips as shot, but the 360 angle MB is becoming more obvious at 25fps hence why it looks a like crap? So its the best I can expect.

Thanks again, feel like I have spent all day trying to figure out what I am doing wrong!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 25, 2019 at 6:37:27 pm

Exactly. The shutter setting of 1/120 @120 fps means that the amount of motion blur on each frame is what would be appropriate for a shot that was captured at 60 fps. The shutter should have been at 1/240 for optimal motion blur. You can sometimes get away with a 360-degree shutter at framerates higher than this, but only if you're in the right circumstances.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]