SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Color saturation issue with theatre lighting

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Neighbors
Color saturation issue with theatre lighting
on Nov 11, 2018 at 7:05:29 pm

I've had this issue here and there over the years when shooting video with theatre lighting and I've never been sure of the cause and what I can do about it -both to prevent it and to try to fix it in post. I think it is caused by overly saturated colored light hitting the subject but I notice that some cameras seem to handle it better than others and I'm not sure what this undesirable effect is called. What camera specs should I look for to avoid this in the future if I buy a new camera, what settings can be tweaked to handle it better with my current camera? This was actually shot with a Sony A7s (first gen) going into a shogun 4K recorder and being recorded at 1080 10bit (I believe) prores. Meanwhile my little 8 bit osmo with x3 camera handled this exact same moment fine. Thanks for any help with this.

Tim Neighbors
invisibleharness.com
FB.com/invisibleharness
instagram.com/invisibleharness

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: Color saturation issue with theatre lighting
on Nov 13, 2018 at 12:14:42 pm

I think that is, or is at least related to, so called "blue runaway". Not 100% sure as the picture has a lot of blue but is not exclusively so in the runaway areas.

It is the same as you see when people record the blue lights of police cars on news.

I was at a talk when they described what to do but it was the end of day ...

The trick is to use the "matrix settings" and desensitize the camera to Blue.

Sorry I don't have time to do a little tutorial but there are a few tutorials on the web, at least that discuss matrix settings in general. No guarantees and you will have to experiment at an event with the problem lighting.
So just consider this a hint at what to try.

Another suggestion is to use ND filters. Or there may be a filter that tones down blue.

For Sony cameras look for a profile that is suitable for theatre. Some of the better distributors publish profiles. Abelcine comes to mind but there are others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]