SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Codec/Bitrate confusion

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Roy Schneider
Codec/Bitrate confusion
on Sep 30, 2018 at 12:48:41 am

Help??? I am a Producer/Editor and occasionally shoot my own Projects (low budget) I have been shooting on Fs7 for a little while... I did a shoot for a Project that is to be aired on PBS. I shot 4k, XAVC-I, 29.97. I took the MFX direct off the card, It looks good, edits nice into the 1080 timeline, but when I sent it over to the colorist, he said it was low bitrate, was making it hard to do any detail work. Any Ideas what might have gone wrong? Better setting in the camera? Thanks for your thoughts.

Long Live the Cow
Roy Schneider
Executive Producer
Vintage Production Group
516-659-4596

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Codec/Bitrate confusion
on Oct 1, 2018 at 4:01:54 pm

In XAVC-I mode, the bitrate is 300mbps at 29.97. There's no way that's too low for some light grading. Maybe you recorded in XAVC-L by accident, which is 100mbps.

Did you shoot in S-Log?

However, if you're looking for serious grading, you'd need to be shooting RAW--there's only so much you can do with XAVC-I footage, even in a log color space.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: Codec/Bitrate confusion
on Oct 1, 2018 at 4:35:10 pm

Can you get Catalyst Browse and see what it thinks the clip is? Or the xml file that goes with the .mxf?

The only other thing I can think of is that he is looking at the proxy and not the essence but that would be hard to do.

The FS7 is regularly used for your type of project.

Perhaps another idea is that it is under exposed footage?

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]